WYOMING DEER Region Y,C,R, or D??? *Family Hunt*

TN VOL

Jan 1, 2018
Hey guys..looking to do a deer hunt in Wyoming 2019 with my two teenage sons. I?ve done quite a bit of research and called biologists in 3 of the 4 Regions. Here?s some ideas I have and you guys can comment or Pm me: Hunt region Y south big horn area in units 30,33,163..(I would pair this hunt with an antelope buck or doe tag) I?ve heard there?s good numbers of deer but tons of pressure. 2. Region R decent deer numbers, more public land which perhaps means it?s easier to get away from other hunters, 3. Region D Unit 79 which is Limited Entry unit, I?ve heard the deer numbers are ok but my concern would Be hunting pressure from cow elk hunters, etc. 4. Region C Supposed to be tons of deer but not much public land. We aren?t trophy hunters just want to have a quality experience and fill 3 buck tags in a week. I keep thinking the Limited Entry unit 79 is the best bet but then I think general region hunts in Y or R could be about the same Hunt. Has anyone hunted these areas or have any experience?

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I wouldn't worry about pressure in 79. I was one of those cow elk hunters last year, and only saw one deer hunter and a group of moose hunters outside of their trucks. There is a fair amount of road traffic, but nothing like over in 75 (general).

Having said that, we saw only a handful of deer while we were there. But like I said, we were after elk.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Good points LCH, most deer hunters and cow elk hunters are in different types of terrain, but not always.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
I hunted General Y, Unit 163 two years ago and plan to go back this year. Nothing huge, but lots of deer. Mulies in the hills and whitetails in the river bottoms. Although all the river bottoms are private. You can find public land to hunt, just study your maps. There were a ton of people the first two days, and then it quieted down. ATVs up and down all sorts of roads, legal and not legal. By getting a General Y, you can keep your options open about units. Depending on where you hunt, you may need a 4x4 or ATV to get into the areas. I save my points by applying for a unit with high points, and then requesting General Y as a second choice. I want to hunt, so I pay the extra costs under the special draw. Get your deer tested for CWD. Good luck.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I hunted R in 2014; with an outfitter, in the back country up high. Deer were there, but numbers weren't as good as other areas I have scouted/hunted in WY since then. Despite being so far back, we had some company. Not crawling with people mind you, but other resident hunters, with horses passing through on stock trails and a some ambitious resident day hunters hiking in deep. But, that was actually part of the outfitters strategy of locating the camp where it was: inbound hunters from the trailheads tended to push elk and deer towards the area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
I scouted R one time, didn?t see much. I spent most my time up high with all the domestic sheep. I wouldn?t mind checking the stuff out down lower but navigating the public lands might be difficult. Two years ago in early September I almost got snuck in a snow storm up there, so keep that in mind. Beautiful country though.

Y is so, so. My first year there we had a early snow and pushed everything down out of the thick timber and we filled 3 buck tags pretty easy. Nothing of any size really but it was fun hunting. The next year it took a lot more effort and many more miles to fill two tags. My third trip was even more difficult, some serious miles off the road and only 1 of two tags filled. Lots of public land up high but the timber is thick and it?s just not my style of hunting even though I really want to give it a shot.
Pressure in the Southern part of Y seems to be the greatest and nothing more frustrating to see the guys glassing from the road and killing the biggest bucks around literally within a short distance of the roads. That?s not my style of hunting either.

I wanted to hunt C as I?ve been in that region hunting antelope but the public land is less. I?m not sure how much the deer use it and nothing really to backpack into, at least in my very minimal research. I also seen more deer road hunters than I seen deer.

I know nothing about D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk