Wyoming 2015/2016 Winter

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
I know it may be a little early to ask this question, since winter has really just begun, but for those who live there how has it been so far as far as big game survival? And how is the rest of the winter looking? Mostly I'm interested in antelope numbers and hoping this will be another easy winter, and that tag numbers might possibly be increased.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
From last Sunday to Friday I drove from pine bluffs to Newcastle to dubious to Jeffery city to rawlins and back. There isn't anything that's ugly as of right now.

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
Thanks for the reports. This will be my third year in a row hunting antelope in Wyoming. Let's hope the remainder of the winter is easy on them (as well as the deer and elk).

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I'd say it's "normal" right now. The big killers come later though. Wait and see....
I wonder how the decision to push back the application deadline for Wyoming will impact nonresident numbers?

How many people will wait until the end for a real or perceived problem with the population due to a rough winter?

My large question is when I apply, and I can do so now, how do I know final numbers and dates? Are those traditionally set after the draw? Specifically for limited draw areas.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Wyoming doesn't set quotas until after applications. It's a gamble to some degree every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Wyoming doesn't set quotas until after applications. It's a gamble to some degree every year

Thanks for the response.

That's what it was looking like, but I figured I must be missing something. Guess not.

Makes it hard to plan.

So, do LQ units ever go back to GD?

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
Thanks for the response.

That's what it was looking like, but I figured I must be missing something. Guess not.

Makes it hard to plan.

So, do LQ units ever go back to GD?
Yes they do, but not very often. In general, you can expect that the quota from the previous year will not change much. A call to the biologist may not hurt if done at the right time, as they can sometimes tell you what they are thinking about the quota. Also, in general, demand for licenses rarely goes down, even if there are minor changes in quota. Sometimes there are big changes, but not very often. More often changes are more "trending" . . .

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
In the south east where I live there calling for 6 of the next 10 days to be into the 50's and the others are not much cooler. How it stays that way, headed up to go cow elk hunting in some higher elevation so I'll have a better idea if herd health hopefully in a few hours.

rcfireninja

Mar 3, 2014
Rapid City, SD
I drove from gillete to South Dakota on Thursday afternoon. Just one way along I-90 counted over 200 antelope , 23 mule deer, roughly 35 white tails, 10 turkeys and 1 bald eagle. Snow covered most of the ground still.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Sounds good! Just hoping Wyoming doesn't get hit with snow like they're getting on the east coast now.
2 feet of snow here (south central Pennsylvania) and up to 30 inches in areas close by. Gonna be above freezing this week and our deer are in good shape as this is the first snow of the year. Hope the Wyoming winter stays good.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Sounds good! Just hoping Wyoming doesn't get hit with snow like they're getting on the east coast now.
We probably got a couple of feet of snow last week, it just doesn't make the national news when it happens in flyover country.