Wyo Unit 100-7 got drawn now what...

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
As the title says; got a cow tag for Wyoming Elk Unit 100. After the initial high fives over getting drawn I am reviewing what I already knew...this is a crazy checkerboard unit and the 100-7 limitation (Cow or calf valid east of U.S. Highway 191, south of Sweetwater County Road 17 and Sweetwater County Road 15, and west of Sweetwater County Road 19) puts a damper on things...but I digress; these are all things I knew.

What I don't know is how to work around it all...I have the GPS chip and am reviewing that now. I would like some real boots on the ground advice.

Id appreciate any input...thanks.

That is a big area! I live in Rock Springs so we spend time out there. Contact the F&G biologist in Green River. Focus in on the areas he suggests. I know the area around Black Butte is good but not sure if that is the area of your tag. Good luck!

skinzner

Aug 31, 2011
Me and my hunting buddy drew 100-1 we are pretty stoked. Maybe we will see you down there if you see a black gmc flatbed along with a blue samurai with washington plates thats gonna be us. We ordered maps the other day and will start researching pretty heavy shortly. This sounds like it is going to be a fun hunt

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
Get the chip, one thing to ease your mind is most of the checkerboard is owned by the sweetwater livestock or wool growers. Something like that. They allow access. I grew up in Rock Springs and even the though the map shows checkerboard it was all 99% accessible. Some things may have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWScott72

Jan 27, 2012
West Jordan, UT
Me and my hunting buddy drew 100-1 we are pretty stoked. Maybe we will see you down there if you see a black gmc flatbed along with a blue samurai with washington plates thats gonna be us. We ordered maps the other day and will start researching pretty heavy shortly. This sounds like it is going to be a fun hunt
Fun hunt is probably an understatement considering you drew one of the best LE hunts in WY for elk. Lottery odds are probably better than the odds you just bucked to draw the tag!

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
Thanks for the info. I have a chip and plan on calling the area biologist and co this week. I need to order the paper maps this week as well. This is a heck of a unit just not sure what to expect with the constraints put on the antlerless tag.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
As the title says; got a cow tag for Wyoming Elk Unit 100. After the initial high fives over getting drawn I am reviewing what I already knew...this is a crazy checkerboard unit and the 100-7 limitation (Cow or calf valid east of U.S. Highway 191, south of Sweetwater County Road 17 and Sweetwater County Road 15, and west of Sweetwater County Road 19) puts a damper on things...but I digress; these are all things I knew.

What I don't know is how to work around it all...I have the GPS chip and am reviewing that now. I would like some real boots on the ground advice.

Id appreciate any input...thanks.
It has been a few years, but I have hunted this unit many times. My wife has killed four cow elk there and I have killed one. At the time it was accepted practice to hunt all of the checkerboard area which is managed by the Rock Springs Grazing Association. I think it is still all open to hunting (even the private land within the checkerboard pattern). About the only part that is closed is a small area around the Bridger Power Plant. But you should check on that to make certain that is still the case.

There are lots of elk there. You will have no trouble finding them. The problem is in making a successful stalk. Since the country is wide open (mostly sage brush with very few trees), it is hard to get close to them. We went on many LONG stalks trying to get downwind only to find the elk gone by the time we got in position. I would guess in a typical week of hunting we logged 25 to 35 miles stalking. You could get lucky and not have to walk that much. It is much like a 400 pound antelope hunt. Drive around until you find them and then stalk them.

The only year we didn't get a cow the roads were a mess from rain and snow. The roads get greasy fast. If you pull a travel trailer in, be prepared for the possibility of bad roads after a rain or snow...might have to wait a day or two to get out.

Congratulations on drawing an excellent tag in an excellent unit!

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
Actually, from what I see the type 7 hunt is the central part of the unit in all of its checker boarded glory. Described by Wyoming Fish and Game as "Cow or calf valid east of U.S. Highway 191, south of Sweetwater County Road 17 and Sweetwater County Road 15, and west of Sweetwater County Road 19" I have attached an image for illustration.

mapserv.jpg

Attachments

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Actually, from what I see the type 7 hunt is the central part of the unit in all of its checker boarded glory. Described by Wyoming Fish and Game as "Cow or calf valid east of U.S. Highway 191, south of Sweetwater County Road 17 and Sweetwater County Road 15, and west of Sweetwater County Road 19" I have attached an image for illustration.

View attachment 12498
I would describe it as the southwest part of unit 100. I have hunted it many times. I would concentrate on the area near the Bridger Power Plant. They have quite a bit of reclaimed mine land there, as well as water, and the elk like to hang out nearby. Note: some of the area immediately adjacent to the plant is closed to hunting.

This is sagebrush desert and wide open country. Don't expect mountains and forest here. This is my wife with a cow she shot in the unit. Note the background.

IMG_0045.jpg

Last edited:

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
I would describe it as the southwest part of unit 100. I have hunted it many times. I would concentrate on the area near the Bridger Power Plant. They have quite a bit of reclaimed mine land there, as well as water, and the elk like to hang out nearby. Note: some of the area immediately adjacent to the plant is closed to hunting.

This is sagebrush desert and wide open country. Don't expect mountains and forest here. This is my wife with a cow she shot in the unit. Note the background.

View attachment 12499

highplainsdrifter- Thanks for the heads up, I agree we are looking at the southwest part of the unit. We are expecting a unique desert hunt different then most would expect. The goal is to scout a bit to for a future bull hunt...we have been banking points for a while.

laxwyo

Very Active Member
You shouldn't have a problem finding elk.

It's almost nice to be restricted to an area since you know where to hunt unless they get run out of there..

I don't think you have to worry about checkerboard there. I've driven over every inch of that country and never given two thoughts except close to the mine. I may or may not have killed coyotes in places I shouldn't have been

Last edited:

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
You and a buddy drew #100-1 tags? How many points and did you go "Special"?

wileywapiti

Feb 21, 2011
gods country
Im with you Laxwyo....Ive lived here my whole life and have been out in area 100 a million times and have never worried about the checkerboard thing. I've never hunted elk myself in 100, but I have helped a bunch of people and never once even looked at a map for the area. I have hunt deer a lot out there, but never elk.

All you really have to keep in mind is don't drive your atv off the road in the wilderness area. LOL wilderness area in the sand dunes....lol, tree hungers are so dumb!! And don't get on the coal mine property, but that is posted very well.

Good luck to all you 100 taggers, you will have a good time if you bring a sxs or atv and lots of gas. You will hate yourself if you have to drive all over 100 with a pickup truck. 100's of miles of bumpy two trackers.

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
Im with you Laxwyo....Ive lived here my whole life and have been out in area 100 a million times and have never worried about the checkerboard thing. I've never hunted elk myself in 100, but I have helped a bunch of people and never once even looked at a map for the area. I have hunt deer a lot out there, but never elk.

All you really have to keep in mind is don't drive your atv off the road in the wilderness area. LOL wilderness area in the sand dunes....lol, tree hungers are so dumb!! And don't get on the coal mine property, but that is posted very well.

Good luck to all you 100 taggers, you will have a good time if you bring a sxs or atv and lots of gas. You will hate yourself if you have to drive all over 100 with a pickup truck. 100's of miles of bumpy two trackers.

Thanks wileywapiti, we know that story all to well...plenty of fuel and a sxs can make the hunting just a little easier.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
last year up in unit 27 going in I got my 4x4 stuck pulling my trailer,,, even though it looked like a main way in on the map,it took several hours to get out of there,,,gummmmmmyyyy,,and it had only rained a couple days earlyer,didnt look all that bad untill it was a predicament.