WY winter kill....

COhunter

Feb 24, 2011
eastern co
just wondering if anyone has an idea how bad the winter kill is going to be in the western part of the state?? around G and H?? thanks for the info

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
So far the snow is deep and weather has been cold but luckily the winter kills has been very minimal so far. The spring storms in late March and April are the real killers for our deer and antelope, so we're not out of the woods yet. I have seen some footage of some really good bucks on the range this year. Quite a few over 190 typ and 220 n/t, so if we can make it out of the spring unscathed this should be a decent year for regions G and H. I do know one thing, the country is going to be very green this spring and summer. If all else fails the fishing should be really good. Good luck in the draws guys.

Elkcrazedfrk

Feb 21, 2011
Guy is right. I'm on the other side of the mountain and I'm here to tell ya that there is a lot of snow up there. Green spring bring good nutrition to promote good antler growth. I saw a lot of big critters last year and I bet this coming year will be more of the same. Provided those nasty spring storms dont unleash their fury???

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
I've lost count how many times its warmed up to the 40s for a couple three days or so, only to be hit with cold temps and snow again. The fawns in my neck of the woods are looking pretty rough; some nasty spring storms could possibly do them in.

James Long

Feb 26, 2011
Pinedale, WY
I live in G and I would concur that the kill has been minimal. Lot's of dead young deer on the roads (as usual) this year, but I've seen plenty of healthy bucks.

COhunter

Feb 24, 2011
eastern co
this is good news to here from the ppl that really live where the deer are!!! hope i can find a big one up there this year!! thanks for the update guys.

TimG

Jun 14, 2011
Can anyone give me an update on winter conditions and expected effects on Wy area 119 for mule deer?

NCbowhunter

Jun 21, 2011
NC
Just wondering if there is an update on Region G from the locals. We put in for a mulie tag with high hopes after a few years of points. My buddy talked to a local biologist who said the fawn mortality was at ~80% after a rough spring and slow thaw with high old buck mortality as well. He encouraged us to still come hunt as the impact may be greater in the next couple of years.

Now just waiting to see if we draw with 2 points.