WY Proposed Grizzly season

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/environmental/wyoming-sets-hunt-for-dozen-grizzlies/article_232a5ac2-073e-59db-8d57-869a4fb494c0.html

The first Wyoming grizzly bear hunt in over four decades will target 24 animals if commissioners who oversee the the state's wildlife sign off on a proposal released Friday.

A topic of fierce controversy, the hunt is being devised in a way that state officials hope limits the chance of the bold large carnivore being shot in public view, or killed adjacent to Grand Teton National Park. A no-hunting zone will abut the east boundary of the park, and throughout the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem it will be illegal to kill a grizzly within a half-mile of a named highway, Wyoming Game and Fish Department Chief Warden Brian Nesvik said.

?The intention is to address public concern that was focused on there being hunting and wildlife viewing going on at the same time,? Nesvik said.

Half of the overall statewide quota ? 10 male bears and two females ? is being distributed among six hunt zones that fall within a 19,279-square-mile ?demographic monitoring area? in the Yellowstone region?s core. Another 10 boars and two sows will be targeted outside this area, in outskirts reaches of the ecosystem where the federal government is not imposing limits on hunting.

The rules on hunting outlined in the draft regulations greatly differ inside and outside of the monitoring area, which encompasses Jackson Hole.

To ensure no more than two female bears are killed, a maximum of two hunters at a time will be allowed afield within the monitoring area.

?People will put in for a license, but we will only take the top two on the list,? Nesvik said. ?They would essentially be able to choose any of those six hunt areas up until the time either the female mortality limit is reached, or the sub-quota for that particular area is reached.?

Outside of the monitoring area, the dozen hunters who draw a license will not be subject to the same two-at-a-time system. Carrying the state-issued texting device will also not be required outside the monitoring area.

?Outside the DMA,? Nesvik said, ?we?ll issue licenses like we would an elk area.?

The legal season for grizzly bears will be mid-September through mid-November, and the state has for now ruled out a springtime hunt, which exists for black bears.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Really just an amazing Grizzly Bear success story, to even be in the position to offer 24 tags. Probably a good idea to try and limit interaction between hunters and the general public.

Millsworks

Nov 23, 2017
Augusta, West Virginia
Hopefully we get to see some big bears taken and hope the politics don't get in the way of a quality hunt.
I don't like the plan to keep hunters out of site from road areas.
It makes it seem like there's something to hide or like we are ashamed of something.
I understand the worry though. We don't need a unsavory YouTube flick or a shocked liberal millionaire lawer to start pulling for a hunter hanging.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Hopefully we get to see some big bears taken and hope the politics don't get in the way of a quality hunt.
I don't like the plan to keep hunters out of site from road areas.
It makes it seem like there's something to hide or like we are ashamed of something.
I understand the worry though. We don't need a unsavory YouTube flick or a shocked liberal millionaire lawer to start pulling for a hunter hanging.
I agree but after the Cecil the Lion uproar I can understand why...sort of.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
I can't wait, my money is already burning a hole in my pocket. Any word on if they will limit the method of take? Like they do Buffalo .270 caliber and bigger, and what about bows? Just a few questions i had. But if there is one tag i would like it's this one for sure!

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Maybe the $600 resident fee... no way I would pay $6 grand for any tag! I’ll let the rich guys duke it out for those overpriced tags ;)
When you look anywhere else in North America to go hunt a grizzly...the $6k is pretty dang cheap. Just saying, there is nowhere you can go for under $10k to hunt grizzlies, and that means going to at least Canada, so I agree entirely with the 3-4 non-resident tags being priced how they are.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I hope Wyoming gets it's hunt. I've hunted the Teton Wilderness and seen them in their element, they are awesome creatures. Personally, I have no desire to shoot one. I have taken a couple of Black Bears and probably will never take any type of bear again. They aren't great table fare (in my opinion) and I don't need another one for a rug or anything else. Just me I guess.

Dos Perros

Jul 1, 2015
Animals heretofore managed by the feds, mostly on land managed by the feds, and now a 1000% difference in tag fees between residents and the rest of us that footed the bill. That makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/May_CH-32_Draft-2-26-18-3.pdf

(b) For the taking of elk, grizzly bear or moose, a hunter shall use a longbow, recurve
bow or compound bow of not less than fifty (50) pounds draw weight and an arrow equipped with a
fixed or expanding point broadhead that when fully expanded cannot pass through a seven-eighths
(7/8) inch solid ring.

This draft bill will also answer your gun caliber question.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Animals heretofore managed by the feds, mostly on land managed by the feds, and now a 1000% difference in tag fees between residents and the rest of us that footed the bill. That makes sense.
Most every state charges the non-res hunter fees that are MUCH higher than resident fees for tags and licenses for all game animals. This would be no different.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co

And now the hunt will be managed by the Wyoming Game and Fish. No different than what they are doing with moose, sheep, and goats.

As to the price of the hunts you can figure in another $4000-who knows what for your guide service if you are hunting in the wilderness for the non resident. Also last year before they lost the grizzly hunt in British Colombia you could figure $15000+ for the hunt. I haven't looked to see what they are charging in Alaska for a inland or mountain brown bear hunt.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
When you look anywhere else in North America to go hunt a grizzly...the $6k is pretty dang cheap. Just saying, there is nowhere you can go for under $10k to hunt grizzlies, and that means going to at least Canada, so I agree entirely with the 3-4 non-resident tags being priced how they are.
I don’t disagree that comparatively it might be a good deal to some if you didn’t have to use an outfitter. Just not for me. Hunting & killing any animal isn’t worth that kind of money to me. There are plenty of guys that will go for it though.

Last edited:

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Where do i send my tag app and money? This is the only animal besides wolves id be willing to hunt in Wyoming because of the wilderness law and not having points for the others.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
there is an old saying ,"a fool and his money are soon parted."

there is no limit to what some will pay.

I have killed many animals in my life. not a single one cost me more then a few hundred bucks. can't see paying more now, think I will stick to deer and elk. they taste much better anyhow.
to each their own though.

Last edited: