WY Elk question

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
So, we are about ready to put in for our 3rd pref point for WY elk, we WERE planning to draw a tag in 2-3 years, but after looking at the draw odds it seems like we may be able to try for a kill tag for next year under the general elk quota. It looks like 2 points is pretty much guaranteed. Am I looking at this wrong or what? This would be a gun license. We were looking to hunt south of the Big Horns. Any advise?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
It can definitely change from year to year, but two points will give you a good chance at the least. No matter how many points you have right now, I'd still buy another to better your odds.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just get the point.

This last year a lot of the draws were upside down and all turned around due to the price increases and people spending their points in different ways. A unit that I put in for antelope should of been a sure draw with 5 points and this year 5 was't even close. Other units a lot of hunters put in for the special draws which drove up those points, you just never know and since the elk draw is done for this year and only points are available I would pick up another one.

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Thanks, yeah we're going to just buy the point for this year, just get confused in how the reports read. The units have a certain # of tags associated with each, say 60, and you would need about 5 pp's to have a shot at it, but in the general tag report it shows I could probably get one of those with either 2 or 3 pp's. What am I missing here? Do not all units allow general tag hunts?