When do you begin scouting?

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Out of curiosity, when do you start scouting? We?ll just stick with Elk and deer

A. 1-5 years before drawing the tag
B. Once you draw the tag (early summer into fall)
C. Week before the season
D. Day before season opens
E. Just hope to get lucky
F. Other

I?ll let this go for awhile then put in my .02$

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It all depends on where and what I am going to hunt.

I spent 14 points on a late season deer tag here in Colorado unit 44. I started to scout the Sunday before the hunt started, but then I live here in the unit and know it quite well.

I spent 17 points on a muzzle loader elk hunt in unit 61 and I started to scout it heavy in July for the September hunt.

I drew a LE elk tag in Utah in the Book Cliffs and I started to scout it in July of the same year. But then I know that unit almost as well as my home unit.

I then drew a LE muzzle loader deer tag in the Book Cliffs and started to scout the Monday before the hunt opened but then once again I know the unit quite well and knew where I wanted to be on opening morning.

I had a late season coues deer tag in Arizona and didn't scout it at all in 2016 but my friend that was going with me knew the unit so I was depended on him. I showed up and we started to hunt.

I drew that same late season coues deer tag in Arizona on a fluke and once again I showed up with my buddy and started hunting. No scouting but that unit is 900 miles away so it would be quite hard to do much if any scouting.

Other than that I put in for units that I know like the back of my hand. In these units I can just get up opening morning and go hunt. This is what I plan on doing this year with both deer and elk here in Colorado. I also put in for antelope in Utah in a unit that I know quite well, but since it is a LE hunt I will do some scouting on it this summer if I draw the tag.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I tend to hunt the same areas year after year. I do some scouting, depending on the type of year we are having. Last year we had almost no winter so the animals I had scouted in a new area were totally different than expected. Several years ago I hunted an area I had never been in here in Colorado for antelope. A friend told me about it as he hunted there in the past for deer/elk. Before I spend my 15 points on it I spent several trips there looking. Ended up being well worth the points.

I never hunt a new area without scouting, usually for at least the previous year. The only times I don't scout is if I go on a guided hunt. No scouting, just lots of research and getting information.

MountainHigh

Jul 19, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
I try to scout out as far in advance as possible when burning lots of points, but the older I get time seems to not be on my side. I have a little 2 year old girl now and own my own business so I do not get as much time to scout as I wish. Priorities priorities! :)

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
A-D

I like to get to know an area I want to hunt so I spend a lot of time in a new unit im trying to draw. I also try to draw doe or cow tags while waiting for a horn tag to get to know the area.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
If I draw my primary archery GMU only in June/July after the fawns drop to confirm the calving area is the same year to year.
If I have to go to a secondary spot for archery I'm in it 4-6 times from June to Aug 15th or so.
I don't rifle hunt much but when we do ( 4th or late) 4th I'll get to our GMU and give me 5 days prior to the tag to cover ground and find them. Late season about the same amount of days covering wintering areas till I glass them up.
That's elk.

Deer it depends on the tag....points used....etc etc.