What's Your Favorite Box Call?

chiefgobbler

Jun 26, 2011
Central California
IMG_1907.jpg

Cleaning, chalking and running some box calls this morning. What's your favorite? I like my ET Ed Terefenko and Bruce Wurth American Friction long boxes when I need to reach out. Merriam's can't resist my Marvin Robbins Timberline and Joe Slaton Mother Lode short boxes. Can't wait to try my newest box call from Matt Van Cise's High Class Calls!

I normally use my box calls to get them fired up and finish them with a mouth call when movement can be a problem.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Can't say I'm loyal to any particular brand. I use a combination of push button, box, slate, glass, and reeds.
Turkey hunting is the most fun you can have chasing a bugle.... I mean a gobble! :cool:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
That is a stack of box calls! I've got one, that Lynch in the bottom right of your photo. It was the call my grandpa used, I still have it in the original package. I've never used it, don't really like the way box calls sound, and I'm much more versatile on a mouth call. Mouth calls take up far less room too..

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Great photo!

I stopped using box calls years ago because for me they are too cumbersome and require 2 hands. I haven't packed one in 10 years.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I’m with Fink and mallard. Don’t really like the way box calls sound, but mostly they’re a pita to haul around. Never had any luck sealing the deal with them, either. Slate calls when I can get away with the movement, mouth calls all the time. Some of those box calls are beautiful works of art, though.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed Fink but man a buddy of mine had a custom box call from PA that just flat fired birds up! Wish I could remember the name of it.

For me it's a slate and a couple mouth calls... I've gotten away from carrying around a bunch of calls, just my style I guess.

Naturebob

Feb 28, 2016
phoenix, az.
Got a new Knight &Hale box in 1992. Only thing I use . Killed the Grand slam with it. Killed 20+ Birds with it. Just like it. It should be in there Museum.LOL I'M old fashion............BOB!