What are Your Bowhunting Goals for the Year?

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
It's the time of year when we are applying and trying to draw tags. My archery goals this year are modest, because I don't have any realistic hope of drawing a tag in my home state (Utah) this year. Hopefully I can get a cow or spike elk on an OTC tag. If I can get a nonresident mule deer tag in a state that has an archery season after mid September, I would love to do that as well.

What are everyone's bowhunting goals for the year?

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Call a Wyoming bull in for my brother, and then run an arrow through one myself.
Stick a 140 or better whitetail here at home.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
In Jan. the goal for the years was to kill a Russian boar with my bow. Check*
in Feb. It was to kill A Wild Vancouver Bull in Hawaii with my bow. Check*
And to kill a Polynesian boar in Hawaii with my bow. Check* (Killed a sow as well)
In March the goal is to kill a Water Buffalo with my bow. Will know how that works out in about 2 weeks.
Other goals will be made and hopefully set throughout the year.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I'm torn, my archery spot for deer is a long way from my archery spot for elk. But being how i arrowed a decent buck last year I think ill devote september to elk and August to archery lope.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
First goal is to find then kill a 200" net typical mule deer...

Second is have a fun otc elk hunt here in Co - camping with the family and chasing 5x bulls with my 74 year old longbow wielding father. No out of state hunts for me this year.

First goal has been the same for quite a while or well forever maybe this is the year.. Second one is a fall tradition for our family and is just as enjoyable as looking over endless basins for a unicorn.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Practice a lot.

I still haven’t drawn a archery tag since I got my new set up 2 years ago. I am holding out on my honey hole rifle tag but when I do I’m switching to archery for a few hunts.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
First, I would like to see my wife kill a deer with her bow. It would really make her happy.

Secondly I would like to have another shot at that 6' long gar I shot at last year that potentially was some kind of state records for Georgia....I muffed the shot pretty badly only to look down to see that the line was wrapped around my rest somehow...

Lastly, I would like to find my release. (I think it quite possibly might be lying in Canada next to a gut pile...)

dkopriva

Dec 2, 2014
Gove
First is to kill a bull elk in Colorado. Have been very close the last two years. Next would be to kill and antelope in my home state. Then of course find and kill a mature mule deer or whitetail here at home. If I happen to get lucky and draw a Colorado tag for mule deer that would move to the top of my list.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Hopefully a cow elk without having to resort to my rifle late season- tall order I know, but I like a challenge. Also a whitetail here in Ohio (140+)

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
I too have a 140" whitetail on the top of my hit list for this season. Might be tuffer than I figured since one of my 2 good bucks from last year was found dead a couple weeks back from someone with a late season bow tag and made a poor shot on him.

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
This year it is to kill three 6 pt bulls with a bow, and one that's 350. Oregon, Colorado, and Wyoming are on the list for states.. going to be a busy fall as always!

rcfireninja

Mar 3, 2014
Rapid City, SD
Upon drawing MT, hopefully my first bull elk with my bow then a mature mule deer with my bow as well in MT or SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk