Western Mountaineering Bag question???

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Just got my REI dividens, and my 20% off coupon and was going to by a Mormont Helium, but now looking around I see that a lot of people like the Western Mountaineering. The two WM I was looking at were Alpinelite, and the Versalite. How duriable are the outer shells, are there ratings for comfort or surivival, are they worth the extra money over the Helium, ect? Thanks.

Firearrow,

I wouldnt think twice about buying a western bag. 100% made in the usa with amazing down and weight. There ratings are based on comfort and are really accurate. The face fabrics are light but not what I would call un-durable (i.e dont let the dog crawl all over it). You will be super happy if you spend the couple extra bucks over the marmot and have the bag you will have for the rest of your life.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
The WM bags are good, I have nothing bad to say about them. But I have a helium, and I absolutely love it! Wouldn't trade it for any other bag out there.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Just talked to REI and they can't get WM bags. Would hate to not be able to use my dividens, and the 20% off from REI. On the Helium thats about 60 dollars!!!

Gman

Mar 3, 2011
Front Range, CO
I have an alpenlite and love it. However if I were to do it over again I'd get one of their micro-fiber models. Weight gain is small yet more durable and moisture resistant. I usually find my outer shell on the alpinlite to be damp in the mornings. Material is not bomb proof but as durable as any other traditional down bag.

IL Hntr

Feb 26, 2011
Southern Illinois
I have a WM Badger MF. It is a 15 degree bag but cut a little roomier than most. It is also 2 1/2 lbs. but will cover most situations I should be hunting in anytime soon. I love the bag.

2Below

Mar 27, 2011
Colorado
I haven't used a WM bag, but I do have a Marmot Helium. I was comfortable in temps down to the upper teens last fall. The Helium is a good bag, I don't think you would be disappointed.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Well not to look down on everyons advice on getting the WM bag, but between the 20% off, my dividens, and a $50.00 gift card I went with the Helium. Pay 250.00, or pay over 400.00. Tough choice!!! Now if I can only keep from ripping the damn bag.