West side of the Bighorns mountain mule deer

Retiredleo

Oct 23, 2019
My son and I just returned from a Wyoming mule deer hunt. We had no luck in 50 and 53 along the west side of the Bighorns. Just curious if anyone had and luck in this area or could give us some advice.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Well that stinks.

The weather has been very warm here. I think that had a big reason in why we were unable to fill my wife’s tag this year.

Did you guys have unfavorable conditions?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
We have gotten into good mule deer bucks from the pines to the sage, definitely more deer as you head south down the mountain range though.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Ya, things aren't good up on the Bighorns for deer and haven't been for a long time. To add to it, a recent report from the WY Game & Fish said they confirmed CWD presence in unit 50. Between that and all the deer units being general and most of the elk units being limited quota, it feels like you're swimming upstream when trying to find a big buck.

There are honey holes up there that locals who have hunted it their whole lives have found, but as of yet, I haven't found one. Too bad, too, because historically some huge deer have come out of those mountains! I wish they'd turn some of the units up there to limited quota....it would be fun to see what would be produced in there in a few years under those circumstances.

Reactions: dan maule