Waterfowling Must Haves!?!

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
We've all got them, that handful of items that are absolute must haves for the duck blind or goose pit and a hunt without them leaves us feeling naked and uncertain. I'm taking the shotgun and ammunition for granted so think bigger! Here are mine but I'd love to hear yours too, we might just be adding more to our lists before this is done!

1. Ear Plugs - Sonics, Radians, whatever as long as they are the kind that don't inhibit normal hearing until a DB level is reached.
2. Yeti Rambler w/Black Coffee! I'm not sure I could even hunt without this.
3. My lab!!! Seriously, if I can't take him I probably won't go at all.
4. Sitka Fahrenheit Vest - This thing is like a man blanky!
5. Snickers Fun size candy bars!
6. Calls - is this even up for debate?

Okay, let's see em guys, how bout you?

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Totally agree on nearly all accounts, Yeti mug with black coffee, snickers fun sized, and I've really taken to wearing my sitka vest. A lanyard full of Ducklander Calls, and if I can't take the Black Dawg, I'm not going. I'm bad about the ear plugs, and don't use them.

I also keep a patagonia nano puff in my bag. Adding on that nano puff over a light wool base layer, and under a hoodie and a vest, and I can stay pretty warm. Those giant 3 and 4 piece waterfowl coats are thing of the past.

Been shooting a Carlstons Creamator mid range tube in all my guns for the last few years. Throws awesome patterns at ducks in the decoys, and allows for a good clean kill on any escapees.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Totally agree on nearly all accounts, Yeti mug with black coffee, snickers fun sized, and I've really taken to wearing my sitka vest. A lanyard full of Ducklander Calls, and if I can't take the Black Dawg, I'm not going. I'm bad about the ear plugs, and don't use them.

I also keep a patagonia nano puff in my bag. Adding on that nano puff over a light wool base layer, and under a hoodie and a vest, and I can stay pretty warm. Those giant 3 and 4 piece waterfowl coats are thing of the past.

Been shooting a Carlstons Creamator mid range tube in all my guns for the last few years. Throws awesome patterns at ducks in the decoys, and allows for a good clean kill on any escapees.
Oooh, forgot about my Patternmaster! I took it out for some close shooting this weekend... MISTAKE! My shooting went to pot, most likely because my Imp. Cyl. choke doesn't pattern well.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
-My flat brimmed hat
-My black hoodie
-All of my bands and overpriced calls
I'm confused. Some guys make fun of dudes wearing camo, you make fun of dudes wearing black hoodies. What the heck is a guy supposed to wear, red and black checkered flannel?

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
Good hunting buddies! Gun oil that won?t freeze! Vest are a must. Headlamp! Waders for the cold temps! Good socks and shoot em!

I?m working on my new hunting buddy!
Sleeps like dad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Good hunting buddies! Gun oil that won?t freeze! Vest are a must. Headlamp! Waders for the cold temps! Good socks and shoot em!

I?m working on my new hunting buddy!
Sleeps like dad!

He gonna be ready for early kansas season next year?

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Definitely agree with all of the above! But instead of snickers I need my Milky Way!
I also always have my binos. Love watching birds approach and in the distance through my glass!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'm confused. Some guys make fun of dudes wearing camo, you make fun of dudes wearing black hoodies. What the heck is a guy supposed to wear, red and black checkered flannel?
I'm just joking around of course.

But if you want to wear red and black checkered flannel then go for it because its better than this! lol
Capture.JPG

Now for three serious Items I never hunt without.

-Break Free CLP
-Branch Pruners
-My Bird and Buck Seat

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I'm just joking around of course.

But if you want to wear red and black checkered flannel then go for it because its better than this! lol
View attachment 22672

Now for three serious Items I never hunt without.

-Break Free CLP
-Branch Pruners
-My Bird and Buck Seat
I dunno who dat is, but he's my hero.
Good call on the break free. Nice to have when someone drops your gun in the drink.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I'm 51, and my list has changed over the years. In HS/College when we hunted public marshes our "must have-s" were light...because we walked in, packed out decoys, and stood in waist high water to hunt.

Now that I'm older and have a place to go with a blind, the gear list has grown.

Aside from all the usual suspects (gun, calls, waders, extra gloves, plenty of shells, etc.), I always make sure to have the following in my blind bag:

- Walker Game Ears: I always, ALWAYS wear ear protection. I have tinnitus now and wish I would have worn protection years ago.
- PFD's: river hunting can be challenging. When I'm hunting alone the PFD if on me always.
- Decoy sled: carrying stuff sucks...decoy sled, even from the truck to the blind. Much easier
- Rangefinder: helps set decoys at proper distance from blind. And when it's slow, we play "rangefinder bingo" where I ask blind mates to estimate ranges of things like trees, cows, etc.
- Hand warmers: Always keep a pair handy if things get cold
- Other Misc: First Aid Kit, wader repair kit, wet wipes, dental floss (hate getting food stuck in my teeth), knife, headlamp, Leatherman, cell phone battery charger, Rem Oil.
- Food: buddy's blind has a stove, our blind does not. Having food around helps me stay in the blind longer.
- iPod: if I'm hunting alone, I bring the iPod and headphones and listen to audiobooks or music. Helps pass the time and keeps me in the blind longer.

Brought my first lab with me every time. He was wonderful companion and pretty darn good hunter. Got my 2nd lab about 3 months prior to divorcing wife #1...he didn't get the training and attention he should have, so he stays home most hunts. Loves to retrieve, but also likes to talk...and whine...so most hunts he sleeps in my spot on the bed next to wife #2.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Good call on the break free. Nice to have when someone drops your gun in the drink.
A guy told me about that stuff when I was a kid. I have been using it ever since and it really has worked wonders for my guns over the years and it handles those brutal temperatures we all love to hunt ducks in. Expensive, but worth every penny. I shoot my gun dripping that stuff haha

chiefgobbler

Jun 26, 2011
Central California
Coffee!!!
TP (coffee is a powerful laxative, hope there are some tules around!)
Hearing protection
Mosquito repellent is a must for early season in California along with a thermacell ( watch the cloud of mosquitoes if the birds aren't flying)
Yellow lens glasses (work great in the fog and low light)
Dog
At least 4 boxes of shells
License and stamps
Duck strap

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
"Brought my first lab with me every time. He was wonderful companion and pretty darn good hunter. Got my 2nd lab about 3 months prior to divorcing wife #1...he didn't get the training and attention he should have, so he stays home most hunts. Loves to retrieve, but also likes to talk...and whine...so most hunts he sleeps in my spot on the bed next to wife #2."

This is GOLD!