W. Montana Ram

MTWillie

Feb 21, 2011
Montana
Took these photos in November while I was elk hunting. It's on private land I have had access to for years. I knew there were sheep running around, but had no idea one this big was there. The herd is about 30-35 animals, with 5 or 6 good size rams.

What would you say he scores?

I just applied for the single tag the district hands out each year. By no means do I expect to snag it on my first try, but this animal gives me hope for years to come.

Last edited:

thump&dump

Mar 29, 2011
I am guessing that is in the bitterroot valley, in 270. Great ram. I don't know anything about scoring but my guess is 170s

MTWillie

Feb 21, 2011
Montana
I am guessing that is in the bitterroot valley, in 270. Great ram. I don't know anything about scoring but my guess is 170s
Nope, it's section 212 North of Deer Lodge on private ground. The herd has made the ranch their permanent home. We're happy to have them, only problem is for some reason, they scare all the elk away that wander over from Rock Creek ;)

Here's a few of the other rams...

The last one is a nice one too, but not nearly as heavy as the one I'm after.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Yup that lst one will do. I know MT puts out the BEST Rockies, but I think anyone who puts one there pants one leg at a time would be more than happy with this last one. It is hard to tell, be this last one doesn't look like he is broomed, a bit longer, but the first one does have some mass. In your leasure time could you please provide more views from more angles. Thanks. Just kidding. If you do have some pictures that would be awsome.

MTWillie

Feb 21, 2011
Montana
Here's a few more. Not the best quality, since my little camera doesn't like taking pictures at 300+ yards :) The good one of the bigger ram (above) was taken with the same camera, but through a spotting scope.

S5001415.jpg

S5001410.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Here's a few more. Not the best quality, since my little camera doesn't like taking pictures at 300+ yards :) The good one of the bigger ram (above) was taken with the same camera, but through a spotting scope.

View attachment 866

View attachment 867
Yup, he will work. That is a good ram. Make sure the wolves stay away from him. Hope you draw the tag. Would hate to see that animal die of REALLY OLD AGE.

MTWillie

Feb 21, 2011
Montana
Other than me, there's 2 people that have permission on that land...and they're the landowners and they don't participate in hunting. So as long as they stay healthy, eventually I might get the tag. There's over 50 head of sheep on the property, so the potential to grow more bruisers is there. There's plenty to eat, and a healthy creek running straight through the property. Just have to log some serious hiking and shooting hours in. Where they hide is steep, and they can see for miles.

Here's a small diagram of their layout. The rocks in the middle left of the image are where the pictures of these rams were taken.

This was taken on the same ranch. There's a good size elk herd that uses the creek for their watering hole as well, but by the time the sun comes up they're nowhere to be found. This was taken at last light the day before rifle opener in October.

Last edited:

thump&dump

Mar 29, 2011
Wow! mtwillie, those are some good pics and some great rams. I am jealose of you to say the least. Good for you that you have permission there. I hope you pull the tag I would love to see the pics. I am an idahoan and I got some tags for montana this year I hope we have success. heck I would be pretty happy with a bull like the one you just posted.

MTWillie

Feb 21, 2011
Montana
Thanks, I'll be praying for myself! The pictures of the area are greatly deceiving. That terrain is a LOT steeper than the pictures present it to be. I gopher and coyote hunt there all summer trying to get in shape, but it really doesn't help much lol. The elk there are just too smart and can see too much.

This was my favorite photo of the 2010 season. The elk were scared to death of something for over an hour and we see this come over the ridge. We laughed for a good 20 minutes after we figured out what it was that had them spooked. We thought for sure it was a pack of wolves.

And this was from a different location, but just shows our group's luck for the year. We spot a small herd of elk at first light, start moving into position for a shot on the herd bull, and this truck comes flying up the road. We heard several shots and found out the guy had a cow tag. OY!

MTWillie

Feb 21, 2011
Montana
Well, I took a family friend of mine (former game warden) out to the private land these sheep are on. We watched the herd for about 2 hours before the big boy stepped out. The guy has shot a 191 ram himself on the Missouri Breaks, and was a warden for over 20 years. He estimated the one I'm after at 170-175. Then he spotted one that he thinks within a few years should be in the 180 range. Needless to say, I was pretty excited to hear that. I put in for the tag for this season, but my odds are against me (which is a good thing this time). I just wanted to get my name in there and get some points for the future. If they stay healthy, these guys could be whoppers in 4-5 years.