VX-3i vs Cabelas Euro

gutshotem

Jul 8, 2013
USA
So I had decided on a 4.5-14 Leupold VX3i with the B&C reticle to top off my 7mm; however I just noticed that cabelas has a great deal going on. From what I've read the instinct euro line is the meopta meopro rebranded for cabelas and it's currently on sale for $525 plus another 20% off making it $420ish. Anyone have experience with both of these? I'm not going to make it to Cabelas anytime soon to compare them.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I seriously doubt you will get the same quality from a Cabelas rebranded scope of any kind vs a Leoupold VX3 period. In optics as with most things you get what you pay for.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It is hard to say just what the Cabela's scope is right now. The have been rebranding Vortex binoculars as their store brand so their scopes may be going the same way.

For myself I would stick with the Leupold, you just can't go wrong with them. I purchased my first one over 40 years ago and it is still going strong and I have them on all of my rifles except for one that has a 50 year old Redfied on it.

gutshotem

Jul 8, 2013
USA
I seriously doubt you will get the same quality from a Cabelas rebranded scope of any kind vs a Leoupold VX3 period. In optics as with most things you get what you pay for.
The meopta meopro is a $700 scope. I can get the VX3I significantly cheaper than that.

gutshotem

Jul 8, 2013
USA
It is hard to say just what the Cabela's scope is right now. The have been rebranding Vortex binoculars as their store brand so their scopes may be going the same way.

For myself I would stick with the Leupold, you just can't go wrong with them. I purchased my first one over 40 years ago and it is still going strong and I have them on all of my rifles except for one that has a 50 year old Redfied on it.

It's a Meopta not a Vortex. Lenses are multicoated coated with MeoBright.
Screenshot_2016-09-17-21-12-27.jpg

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Although I always buy Cabela's branded products in this case I'd go with the Leupold. I'ts all I buy for scopes now. You know for sure what your getting and able to deal directly for any customer service. Which is exceptional.

I'm using the cds custom dial system on 4 scopes now and love it. A VX2, 2 VZ3's and a VX6

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Meopta's products are generally quality stuff. I know of custom rifle makers that recommend them highly for their rifles. Myself, zero experience with their scopes. Have looked through some of their bino's, they were good. I'd lean towards the Leupold myself. You might try and find a retailer that carries both, I think Camera Land NY carries Meopta products, might be worth a call, they are straight shooters.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
I just read on another forum that the cabela's is the Meopta. Whom apparently made the Zeiss Conquest and is also the same scope according to the article. REviews in general are all great.

That said I own the Zeiss 4.5x 14 and would never buy another. Everbody says the conquest is great but mine not so much. It is outstanding during the day but mine fades out fast and blurs in the fading minutes when I need it most. Nearly cost me a good buck the first year I used it. I've always intended to send it back and get it checked but never have yet. currently mounted on a .270wsm set up for antelope where low light not usually a problem.

MtnBuck

Apr 4, 2016
Aurora, Colorado
Gutshotem, for that price it's worth ordering them in so you can check them out for yourself. Obviously, there are a lot of Vortex and Leupold fans, but those Meopta's may have superior glass. I skimmed through the Cabela reviews, as I'm sure you did, and didn't see any direct comparisons mentioned. I bought the Meopta 10x42 HD binos, but have no experience with their rifle scopes.

gutshotem

Jul 8, 2013
USA
Well then you don't need our opinions or reviews based on our experience with Leoupold which is excellent for most everyone.
Maybe you misread my OP and response. I asked for opinions on both/comparing the two. I know Leupold makes a good scope, I own six of them. Your response was basically that you get what you pay for, which I think most people understand; however the deal on the cabelas scope is because of a great discount & sale, not because it's a cheap scope.
Not sure why you'd take me pointing that out as not wanting what I actually asked for in my OP.

gutshotem

Jul 8, 2013
USA
Gutshotem, for that price it's worth ordering them in so you can check them out for yourself. Obviously, there are a lot of Vortex and Leupold fans, but those Meopta's may have superior glass. I skimmed through the Cabela reviews, as I'm sure you did, and didn't see any direct comparisons mentioned. I bought the Meopta 10x42 HD binos, but have no experience with their rifle scopes.
Thanks Mtnbuck. I've read the reviews and like you wasn't able to find any comaprisons either, which is why i started the thread. I like Leupold just as much as the next guy (maybe not as much as some here) but if I can save a few hundred bucks and get a comparable or maybe superior scope, then it's worth asking around.
I did place an order so I'll be able to test them out here in different conditions. Worst case scenario I'll only be out the return shipping cost since they shipped free.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Interested in your opinion after you have a chance to review the scope. Especially in the last fading moments of daylight. That's the critical test for me and where my Zeiss failed.