Type B Elk Tag Question

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just doing a little research for 2019 and was looking into the reduced price cow tags in Montana.

I surfed the FWP website and did some data mining; but nothing exhaustive. Am I correct in assuming that there is no such thing as a type B cow tag that allows hunting on public national forest lands? (seemed to be the case from what I surveyed)

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
Not sure if there are any or not, but I bought a cow tag this year based on old information and ended up with a 20 acre private lot to hunt. The elk actually came through the day we got snow, but we were on public land up the road trying to fill my buddy's bull tag and all we could do was watch! Still had a great time visiting and looking at the mountains, but no elk for me. The snow is there now, and so are the elk!

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thanks 'Boiler for your shared experience!

I'm pretty thrifty on my hunting budget so I'm always on the lookout for a reasonable tag that lets me get out west to play come hunting season.

I guess there might be some block management private lands that would allow the type B cow tag-but it will take some sleuthing to see what if anything might be reasonable for a diy guy a time zone away.

The big thing I was seeing was none (so far) of these tags allowing hunting in the national forests. Lack of public access = possible trespass fee = maybe not much of a bargain! lol [emoji38]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MTHusker

Apr 22, 2013
There are a few elk B tags that can be used on public. Main reason for the B tags is to help control elk populations in areas where they frequent on private ground and try and push them back to public areas, thus helping ranchers and farmers, along with the public in the future. Just read the regs well.