Trekking Poles

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
Like you said... "the options are endless". I use a pair of Leki super makalu that I've had for several years and love them. They telescope as most do these days, have three different shock settings and an ergonomically designed hand grip. Light too. I say two thumbs up for Leki...

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Like you said... "the options are endless". I use a pair of Leki super makalu that I've had for several years and love them. They telescope as most do these days, have three different shock settings and an ergonomically designed hand grip. Light too. I say two thumbs up for Leki...
I'll second the Leki Super Makalu. I did a ton of research on trekking poles and those are the ones I went with. I used them on my Wyoming solo backpack sheep hunt a couple years ago. Awesome trekking poles.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Very important thing you want is ones with the shock absorption in them. There is a huge difference between the ones that don't and ones that do.

Vanish

Nov 28, 2011
Gunbarrel, CO
Very important thing you want is ones with the shock absorption in them. There is a huge difference between the ones that don't and ones that do.
If you get a set with antishock (which I do recommend if you're older) make sure you get a set where it can be disabled. Going downhill with the antishock is great, but it can be annoying on the uphill.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
For years I just used some garage sale cheap ski poles. One advantage was the price. The one disadvantage is they dont pack up small like modern packable trekking poles do. I personally cant speak on how nice the shock absorbant poles do over non, but I can say, poles make a heck of a difference on your back when your packing a heavy back pack for miles!

bullbuster

Feb 21, 2011
Soldotna, AK
Thanks for the input, guys. The Super Maks look like the ticket. A lot of reviewers seem to have issues with the locks, but overall, there are more pros than cons. First sheep hunt this fall, and I hope to become an addict, if I survive.

dihardhunter

Jul 27, 2012
Columbus, OH
www.skinnymoose.com
My buddies and I followed some DIY directions from backpackinglite.com and took Outdoor Gear trekking poles, took the factory grips off, replaced them with high density UVA foam handles (from fishing rod repair supplies catalog), reattached loops with rivets and now we have 14 ounce (for the pair) trekking poles for less than $35 total. Here's a link to the project on my buddy's blog. We haven't found a problem with them yet!