Time for a bigger pack.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a bigger pack. I haven't spent a lot of time searching yet but at first glance I notice that there are tons of options. I am not dead set on a hunting driven pack, it looks like there are some very similarly built packs out there that are not necessary focused on hunting. I have Kelty tents and have been very happy with them, I see no reason to discount their packs. Anyone here have a non hunting brand pack they may suggest, they seem to be about 40-50% less expensive "hunting" packs.

I've been using an Eberlestock x2 the last few years, it's just too small for overnight trips.

Last edited:

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I'm starting to see already that most non hunting packs are not designed to carry heavy loads....
Max 50lbs ain't gonna cut it!

ceby7

Feb 21, 2011
Laurel, MT
Take a look at the offerings from Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch and Exo. All make very high quality hunting packs designed to carry heavy loads. A lot will depend on what type of hunting you'll be doing...rifle, archery, day hunts, backcountry weeklong excursions, etc. The nice thing about all the brands I mentioned is they're built around an external frame with interchangeable bags. You can run multiple bags depending on the type of hunting you'll be doing. Smaller bags for day hunting to large expandable bags for 7-10 day trips, yet keeping the same load carrying capacity as the frame doesn't change.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I just got a kuiu icon pro with a 5200 and 1850 bag. I have the 5200 on it right now with a 50 lb sandbag in it and it does a great job with the load. A lot better than my cabelas Alaskan frame does. I haven't had it for long but I bet I've done 15 miles on the treadmill with it so far and I really like it.

As far as non-hunting I can't help you there.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
My Exo is an incredible pack..Yes they are expensive, but i wont need to buy another pack for as long as i want with this one. I got the 5500 just to make sure I had the extra space when it comes to longer backcountry trips, and it shrinks down nicely for just day hunts. If your gonna spend the money and get a long-term pack, i would look at either Exo or Kifaru. Ive never been around stone glacier, but have heard good things, and Mystery Ranch are a good company, but their packs tend to be on the heavier side. My favorite part of my Exo is the frame...It twists when needed for drawing my bow with a full load on my back, but it completely sturdy and stable for hauling HEAVY loads. I hauled a 130lb load of elk out on it down steep nasty country and it rode as comfortable as a 130lb load could, and i didnt have a sore back one bit the next day!

usmc99

Jan 7, 2015
I got a kifaru emr2 this year on a duplex frame and am really happy with it. Fit and durability are excellent. Unfortunately I didn't get to carry an animal out in it. I really like how it goes from day pack to a big meat hauler instantly. Good luck with your search. It took me quite awhile to pull the trigger on a pack that expensive but I think it will last forever.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Thanks for the replys so far. I just need one big enough for a one to two night stay and has enough room to bring a deer out with camp. Lately I've been having to make two trips due to lack of room. I also don't want to spend over $300, is that reality or dream world? The Kuiu icon looks like it may be close to what I'm looking for but a little more cash than I want to spend. The 5-600 dollar packs are completely out of the question for me, hell my guns didn't cost that much! I should have mentioned my budget in the OP.

usmc99

Jan 7, 2015
Thanks for the replys so far. I just need one big enough for a one to two night stay and has enough room to bring a deer out with camp. Lately I've been having to make two trips due to lack of room. I also don't want to spend over $300, is that reality or dream world? The Kuiu icon looks like it may be close to what I'm looking for but a little more cash than I want to spend. The 5-600 dollar packs are completely out of the question for me, hell my guns didn't cost that much! I should have mentioned my budget in the OP.
In that case I'd keep an eye on the classifieds and find a good used eberlestock. I've also got an eberlestock just one and ready like it too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I just sold a used Icon for $250. There's a guy on AT selling an Icon he says is like new, used on one trip for $300. Camofire has been selling the Eberlestock blue widow for $209. Hard to beat that price! You probably won't be getting into a Kifaru or SG on that budget though...

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I just sold a used Icon for $250. There's a guy on AT selling an Icon he says is like new, used on one trip for $300. Camofire has been selling the Eberlestock blue widow for $209. Hard to beat that price! You probably won't be getting into a Kifaru or SG on that budget though...
I saw yours for sale a day too late, I'm not familiar with AT? Thanks CoHi

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
A totally reliable source told me these Osprey packs are pretty nice. Need a 35L dry bag to go with this one. I have also heard good things about the REI XT85. We have modified a Cabelas guide frame and it is a great frame. Don't buy the heavy stupid bag that they want to sell you with the frame. You are better off with a nice day pack that you probably already own and a couple dry bags strapped on
http://www.rei.com/product/846438/osprey-xenith-105-pack

Watch out for the old Kuiu frames that were prone to breaking. I am sure there are still some around.

Buy a Kifaru or a Stone Glacier frame only either new or on the classifieds. Strap on your day pack and a dry bag for meat, and you are in the hills for about $300. This and you now have an upgradeable system when all the "one trip" guys sell all their brand new stuff at the end of the year. With the newest Kifaru frame out on the market, a guy can make a pretty good deal on a frame only one or 2 years old.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Kifaru has a pack called their "Spike Camp"; might be worth your time to check it out on their website...sits right about $300 ish and comes with the Kifaru guarantee and knowing its being custom made to your specifications. Looks like a pretty nice pack for what you might be wanting...It is not on their frame, so it isnt meant for heavy heavy loads, but be perfect for a night or two out type pack. Im debating one for myself since being given a Kifaru gift certificate from the guys at eastmans for my article:cool:

sodaksooner

Jul 7, 2014
Archery talk...Western Classifieds. I love my Icon 5200, plenty of room, light, and unlike what most people think, pretty durable. I have packed 70 lbs in training no problem(No meat....YET!!!)

If you are still looking at non-hunting packs, my brother is really happy with his Osprey Atmos.

Stay away from eberlestocks. My x2 killed me with only 35 lbs and I sold my J34. Not good for heavy loads IMO.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Archery talk...Western Classifieds. I love my Icon 5200, plenty of room, light, and unlike what most people think, pretty durable. I have packed 70 lbs in training no problem(No meat....YET!!!)

If you are still looking at non-hunting packs, my brother is really happy with his Osprey Atmos.

Stay away from eberlestocks. My x2 killed me with only 35 lbs and I sold my J34. Not good for heavy loads IMO.
I've been loading my x2 as heavy as 70#, it's brutal. My last pack out this fall was 124 with a borrowed Eberlestock, not sure what model but it was way to much weight! I want to try a differant brand for sure.

I will look into the ospreys, I also like the idea of a good frame. I've done the frame/daypack trick in the past, not ideal but it works. I could get a frame this year and the pack later. Thanks for the input men.

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
I've had my Icon Pro 5200 for 2 seasons now. Carried 1 deer this year. The pack rides well when loaded. You may be able to find a used one within your budget. If you are looking at Kuiu, I would recommend going Icon Pro and stay away from the Icon. There is a very significant difference. My first pack was an Eberlestock J34. This is a very tough pack, but for me, it sagged very bad when loaded with about 50+ lbs and way too much of the load was on my shoulders.

Good Luck

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Call camofire.com. They've had some beetle stock on sale,that will fit your price and size needs.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I got a kifaru duplex this year, wow. what a step above my, just one pack. the AMR for just backpacking and used the rambler for elk hunt this year. much more even distribution. now my eberlestock is packed in the corner. probably be there awhile.

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
The husband got a icon pro 5200 and what a night and day difference from the cheaper packs we've got. I'm thinking on getting the 3200 or the 1850 next season. It's light and sits comfortable on your back even with weight in it. Like others have suggested search the used market and see what you can find from others who have packs for sale.

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
I have the Icon Pro 7200 with an extra 3200 bag and an 1850 bag. My wife has a an Icon Pro 3200 and an extra 1850 bag. I went with the 7200 as the extra room helps on the 7-10 day trips and I can always compress it down. I use my 3200 bag for 1-3 days and my primary Elk day hunt pack. My 1850 is primarily used for summer day hikes in the mountains with my wife. My wifes uses her 3200 when we take off for a few days of hiking in the high country in the summer (she does not hunt) while I carry most of the load with the bigger pack. I really like the Icon Pro and was in on a number of meat pack outs this year. Works very nice under load. Their are a few great companies out there and what ever good quality pack you decide on make sure it fits.
missjordon - i would recommend you grab the 3200. It works great as a day pack for hunting and you can always cinch it down if you are going light. You could always ad the 1850 bag later.