The Bugling Begins!!!

birdhunter

May 8, 2011
Black Hills, Wy
Talked to some buddies who said the bulls are finally bugling in my hunt area. We have had about 90 degree temps the last 2 weeks so the elk laid low for awhile. Opening weekend was very quiet (except for other hunters bugling away). Ran into some cow elk tag holders who were bugling to call in a cow. Hopefully the hunters have dwindled down a bit. Never had so many hunters in my area during archery. The sport is growing way too fast!! I just hope they haven't ran the bulls onto private land like they do during rifle season.

kiddwinner

Jun 24, 2013
Cody, Wyoming
Bugling for cows!huh, interesting.... what elk area are you in? Im in the big horns and labor day was insane with the amount of people... my tag opens this sunday and its consuming my mind!

birdhunter

May 8, 2011
Black Hills, Wy
I'm in the black hills area. A few years ago, my wife and I were the only hunters out during archery. This year we ran into around 20 hunters. I thought it was weird to bugle in cows too. Then I thought about the cow I shot with my bow in 2009. I was bugling back and forth with another bull and a young cow came running in. It does work, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. I only bugled about twice and she came up to me running. Its just very hard to be successful in these smaller public land areas when there are so many people archery hunting. There are roads every where so you cant really get away from it all either. A person just has to stick with it and outlast the others. We usually tag out but it takes awhile.

Ilovethewest

Jul 11, 2012
Wisconsin
well good luck birdhunter and keep me posted! Hope you can avoid the crowds and get an arrow in a bull. Hope all is well with your family! :)

birdhunter

May 8, 2011
Black Hills, Wy
Bulls were bugling like crazy! I was in the middle of 6 bulls and could not get any to commit. Finally, a young 6 pt came up to me. The only problem was that he was on the wrong side of the fence. It was hard not to shoot him when he was at about 5 yards. I walked across the hill a little bit and cow called. Saw another medium sized 6 pt coming right at me. kneeled down and he stopped facing me about 60 yards away. He looked to his left and then all I heard was a whack!! There was another hunter between the elk and I and he shot him. I was a little heart broke. I helped him field dress it and load it into his truck. I was a little happy for him when he said he was 61 years old and it was his first elk with his crossbow that his coworkers talked him into buying. Most of the bulls with cows were smaller ones so hopefully in a week or so the big boys will be pushing these younger bulls out. My hunting vacation is at the end of the month so hopefully they will still be going a little crazy.