surplus gore-tex rain gear

jlmoeller

Nov 10, 2012
Iowa
My local Fleet Farm store has British surplus gore-tex rain pants and jacket with hood in desert camo. The pants are $30 and the jacket is $50. They appear to be in new unissued condition. Both pieces are light weight and feel well built and durable.

I am collecting gear for a spot and stalk high country mule deer hunt in western WY. I have 2 questions:

1. has anyone used these or something similar and if so how did they perform?

2. Will desert camo work in the mountains, or are the colors just wrong?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Jason Moeller

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
If they are British they wont work in Wyoming... HAHAHA! I have desert camo rain gear from the Army (US Army) that I use everywhere I hunt. Its not the lightest there is but it works well and I bet you could get it for around that price at an army surplus store. IMO camo patterns are way over rated. Find something that you can afford that will keep you dry and hopefully you wont have to use rain gear on to many of your stalks anyways!

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
Listen to MM, the only reason I buy a certain Camo is because I like the way it looks hahaha....desert Camo would be fine in the situation you described. Somebody will more than likely disagree with MM and myself, but I too feel that Camo is over rated in most situations. And that's coming from a die-hard whitetail bow hunter. I prefer breaking my body outline up with foliage, or whatever, over a Camo pattern any day.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

jlmoeller

Nov 10, 2012
Iowa
Thanks for the input guys. I am leaning toward buying this because the price is right and I think gore-tex really good for rain gear. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Jason Moeller

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I have a few sets of the US Airforce Goretex Jackets and pants. They are made very well and do what they are supposed too. There are a few draw backs.They are heavy compared to other Goretex products you can get. They do not breath very well and if you get warm not very comfortable due to the retained moisture. They are very noisy.

jlmoeller

Nov 10, 2012
Iowa
Thanks for all the help. I think I am going to purchase the British surplus Gore-Tex rain gear.

Jason Moeller