sure was cool, listening to a bull elk last nigt.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I got home from my mountain bike ride, ate dinner and there was probably 45 minutes to an hour of daylight left. I went outside to do some chores. AS I was walking back to the house, from my chores, I could hear a bull elk bark. I thought to my self, that is a bull. I grabbed the wife and we went on the deck looking for him. I never did see him, but there was a young elk on the hillside. For the next 10 minutes this bull barked, grunted and even chuckled. he was very vocal. the young elk, did not know what to do. It started prancing around and such. THe bull would bark\grunt and the other elk would just start shaking his head. I was hoping the bull would show himself, but I ran out of daylight. All in all it was pretty cool. the bull was only 350 yards away, I just could not see him in the timber.

Elk are definatly vocal year round. This is in north Idaho, I do live out of town and see elk on a very regular basis.
Personally there are way more elk on the wildland\ urban interface then the wilderness areas ever thought of.

Roughwater

Jul 16, 2017
Oxford NC
Tim,

You are either smart or lucky or both to be able to live in Elk county. I envy you. Maybe I've been seeking out the wrong places to hunt?

Since you are in N Idaho can you tell me anything about unit 10 or the Lolo? I was thinking to come in from the Montana side but not sure if 12 or 250 or maybe some other road would get me in to potential good hunting ground? Any help would be appreciated.

Terry

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
terry

10 is a remote unit that will require effort to get to. Wether you enter from I-90 south of superior Montana and go over hoodoo pass or come up from highway 12. Bring gas, there is no towns or anything in your unit to resupply. I have snowmobiled and mtn biked in there quite a bit. I have done some hunting in there, but not much. Big, tough, treed country is what you will be hunting. oh, it rains a lot there and it is very, very steep. Oh it does rain a lot there, and if I didn't say it, prepare for the jungles of north central Idaho, it rains a lot.

Roughwater

Jul 16, 2017
Oxford NC
Wow, sound like one of those places they send folks from the show "Naked and Afraid". Sounds maybe like waterproof gear and Mtn climbing equipment might be in order. But sounds like the place Elk would love.

Eastfork

Feb 14, 2016
I was out Friday and had a at least three bulls bulging back and forth.....its an awesome time of year to say the least!!!

IDELKFVR

Dec 15, 2013
EMMETT,IDAHO
I know there is a pretty big fire up near the lolo going on right now I think from the Montana side so make your you research that. Not sure if there are any road closures.