Still hunting

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
When still hunting Mule deer how slow do you go? I usually walk 7 steps or so, stop, give a really good look all around before moving again. I was never taught so I'm interested in how others approach this hunting method.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Varies for me by terrain. But I'll stop often and glass as the terrain unfolds. If all you are seeing is running deer, you are going too fast. If you do see some deer before they see you, and some that see you first are not in full flight, you are close to the right speed I'd guess. Most of my MD still hunting is on windy or bad weather days, often in and around dry bottoms. So I can walk fairly fast, view point to view point, and peek over the side to look below, so I may not be the best judge of still hunting speed.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
A mentor I grew up hunting with used to say that I was moving too fast if I covered 100 yards or more in an hour. You can't go too slow when still hunting in my opinion. Also use binoculars even when in timber. It has always amazed me how far you can see in western timber if you can get lower then the lowest branches.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
X2 with what Hilltop said! Binos are key even in timber. I take two or three steps and glass. it is amazing the new folds and angles that present themselves by moving three or four steps at a time! Looking for the slightest movement or antler tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
always surprises me how often I spook game while still hunting. binos in the trees helps 10 fold.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Excellent advise. I don't go fast but from the advise provided I should go slower. Looking forward to giving it a go. Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Good advice from everyone. I have always still hunted. I didn't know it was called "still hunting" for years, thought it was like sitting in a tree blind! LOL

A lot depends on the country, slower in cover & trees....a little faster in open country.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I just can't use bino's when still hunting. I have both hands full of rifle, with finger near trigger and thumb on safety. Killed many Blacktails that way. I've nearly stepped on them before the got up.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I go as far as glassing on my knees in the timber while elk hunting. Mule deer hunting though depending on the terrain/ geography and ground cover I find my self going from hidey hole to hidey hole and glassing from each spot for an hour or two.

Hidey hole defined as something I can hide behind and glass from for an extended amount of time...... comfortably.

okcaveman

Aug 21, 2016
I've never hunted Mule deer, but do a lot of still hunting for whitetail. I'd say my speed definitely varies on visibility. I may take an hour to go 100 yards in thick stuff, or a 1/4 mile in more open, easily covered ground

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
We all have our gifts. I have incredible eyesight, but am a little bit of a claude. I am with Timber, I have 2 hands on the rifle in the up position at all times. I will move a little up or down to get a different view. If you are truly invisible, you will still have an active forest around you such as birds and critters. If it is silent, it is because of you. That was a real eye opener for me that I heard from a hardcore blacktail hunter.

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
I naturally taught myself to still hunt, and it is an art that will always keep you learning. My only resume is all 4 deer I killed were within 20 feet with a rifle... which is why I moved to bow hunting. 2/4 deer I killed were mullies. First, I move quickly on human trails until I reach where I think theres game, then i cut a game trail and play the wind. I like to take 3-5 steps at a time, pausing to listen until I feel comfortable to move again. A pause may be 5 seconds to 15 minutes, depending on instincts. Movement depends on cover - thick or loud brush will be slow. In open areas, stay low and in the shadows. Use natures sounds to your advantage - wind and other noises cover careful steps. Always play the wind correctly, as you should know. When you smell the animal you are hunting, stop moving and wait. Its probably bedded within feet of you. I smelled a cow elk at 10 feet in heavy brush, and my next step cracked the smallest twig. She busted out of there like no tomorrow... Dont break twigs! When i stalk, moss, grass, large rocks, or soft dirt make less noise than sticks, leaves, needles... i walk by planting my heel first, then rolling on the outside of my foot towards my little toes, then slowly put my full weight when i know its quiet. I usually stay out of the thick trees unless theres a good game trail. Id rather walk a dark edge and peer in. If I find fresh activity, and a spot to ambush, Ill settle in and wait hours if neccessary. Ive had more encounters with animals, and both whitetails were killed that way. Wait time was 5 minutes each luckily, but I was in my still hunting area by legal shooting light. I also like to use binoculars while still hunting, but theyve never helped to kill yet. The one time they might have I moved too fast and was busted by a blacktail. Speaking of those little devils, if you can still hunt a blactail, you are skilled. Just got my !!! handed to me on a recent blacktail hunt in the pacific northwest.... Hope my rambling helps. Good luck and dont give up! Still hunting is the ultimate tool for hunting.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
There is a book out there called "THE STILL HUNTER" written by Theodore Van Dyke. I t was published in 1904 and is still very appropriate for what we are talking about. I found a reprint and it was a pretty good read.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
This is fascinating. The last few deer we've harvested were taken still hunting. We certainly spend time glassing but nothing has come of it. Still hunting has been the ticket which is surprising to me because magazines/hunting shows/etc most always show Mule Deer being taken with medium-to-long range shots. I sure enjoy slowly moving through the timber vs. sitting and glassing for hours. From the sounds of it still hunting works for many of you as well. Probably why I like grouse hunting without a dog. Good practice still hunting, nice and slow, glass the heck out of the spruce and fir trees. Even then they still spook the **** out of me (grin).

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
Ive started to learn the whole glassing thing now that Im older. Takes really good glass, time, and skill! I think still hunting is not shown on tv because its hard to film, can be a long process, and usually you arent chasing a trophy buck while randomly still hunting. If you hunt for meat and dont mind walking a lot, still hunting is great. Even if you do glass a buck up, the skills to get in close for a kill are the same so its still the best tool imo. I enjoy slowly moving through the woods too! My mind at least... body gets beat up still hunting. I was thinking that to train for still hunting, yoga would probably be the closest activity lol. The bonus of moving around high country slowly is definitely grouse! Good luck out there!

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
Thanks cowboy! Just ordered a used copy for $3! And a book on blacktails cause I have big ones on trail cams, have seen em in person, and still cant kill one!!

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I still hunt a lot, mainly because i'm terribly impatient and hate hunting out of a stand. I've walked within 50 yards of whitetails in Missouri woods with blanket of leaves under foot (not quiet at all!). Just go slow, stop often, look beyond immediate area, use your Nocs...and did i mention go slow!

In more open territory when hunting Muley's, i work faster as the terrain is very open in the Sandhills. Always, I repeat, ALWAYS work the wind in your favor. I generally work cross wind as I've found Muley like to bed down on side of hills with wind at their back, looking down wind for predators approaching.

Good luck!

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
If you can hear yourself walking you are going too fast. When I am seriously still hunting I put on 4-5 pairs of socks and can still hunt as quietly as cat. The soft material muffles most noises you make and the multiple layers of socks help with sharp sticks and rocks. I put on many miles each year in my socks