Spotting Scope tri-pods and windows mounts...

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
I am looking for recommendations for a solid tripod and maybe even a window mount for my spotting scope (Vortex Viper HD 20x60x85). I am sure with all of the knowledge floating around here there are plenty of folks who wont mind sharing the good the bad and the ugly.

Thanks.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
UH had a thread with a very solid set up, some years back. Manfrotto window mount and head. Being a known thief of good ideas from smart people, I put together a similar set up. Steadys the same scope you have well. I used a new Manfrotto #243 window clamp and got a used 3130 Bogen Manfrotto head. I believe the 3130 has been replaced, but it or it’s replacement makes an outstanding window mount.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
I'm running just about the same set-up as UH and Tim McCoy, The head is a Manfrotto 3130 with a 3292 window clamp. Both components are built like a tank and very solid, weight should not be a factor when shopping window mounts IMO. This set-up easily handles my big spotter and 15X56's and is smooth as butter. My tripod set-up is a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 carbon with a Manfrotto 128RC head, again very solid and smooth. There's nothing lightweight about my system but makes for very comfortable glassing. Manfrotto/Bogen is quality gear that will not disappoint.

dru.bishop73

Jul 17, 2017
I upgraded earlier this year to the outdoorsmans system. It took me a while to get past the cost of investment, but man is it nice. Very happy.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Reactions: unoboats

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
If you haven't seen/ or watched the latest KUIU seminars, there's one on glassing and it's worth watching. There's also one with an outfitter from Alaska, his is excellent! Jay Scott puts on the Glassing seminar.

Last edited:

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I haven't found anything I like better for heads than the Outdoorsmans system. Their tripods are great too. My current favorite set up is the Promaster 525 tripod with the Outdoorsmans pan head. Their pan head is the best I've used for grid glassing an area, while still being easy to unlock to freely track an animal or glass the likely spots. I like that this head and the adapters work on either my tripod or my window mount. It's really quick and simple to use either without unscrewing anything from my optics. The Outdoorsmans bino adapters are great too and their rifle rest is nice for shots where prone over my pack isn't an option

I use the Promaster tripod instead of the Outdoorsmans primarily because of the height I get for the packed size and weight. Its not quite tall enough to be ideal for me to use standing, but it works glassing or shooting. It also has a leg that unscrews that can be nice as a trekking pole on a pack-out or used as another upright to hold a tarp in place waiting out a rain or getting out of the sun. I much prefer to use standard trekking poles walking with a heavy pack, but I don't always carry them and this is a lot better than nothing. I feel like it's a multi-purpose item that justifies a couple ounces over the lightest tripods and heads on the market.

The whole system lets me pack a tripod and head that work perfect for sitting behind with my 15x binos glassing, but that I can also glass from standing. It's also a shooting platform that is much steadier than a single yoke supporting my rifle for longer shots when I can't get prone. Add to that it has the removable leg I can use for a few things and it lets me do more while packing less.

Last edited:

TheGrayRider

May 26, 2018
Midwest/South
Swarovski makes a great car mount. Great glass too. Vortex’s on sale over the internet are a dime a dozen. Only Swaros you see for sale are from panicking debtors or upgraders!

quicknick

Oct 7, 2011
Atascadero, CA
My advice is to keep an eye on craigslist for a good carbon fiber tripod. I bought a brand new Manfrotto off a photographer for about 100 bucks that retailed for about 250 at the time. For the heads I bought the outdorrsmans, also bought the bino adapter and outdoorsmans window mount. If you are planning to glass using multiple platforms and optics my recomendation is to buy all from the same company. I liked some of the manfrotto heads but did not like the bino adapter or window mount. The outdoorsmans stuff seemed the best for me across the range.

It's all personal preference but the possibility of dealing with adapter plates because I pieced stuff together from other companies was a not desirable for me.