Sorta Gear Related

memtb

If a shooting range “can” be classified as gear! 🤔

We’ve had a 300 yard range with a backstop at our home for about 20 years. But, it was impractical for semi-auto handgun work, as the brass was near unrecoverable......so, we did very little practice with our defense handguns! That was changed today.....though, still some work to do.

We cleaned an area of about 60 feet wide and 40 feet in front of the berm. Then we put about 24 yards of road-base (sand/rock/clay mix) on the cleaned area. This will allow us to be able to move about in a more tactical manner while engaging our targets and recover most of our brass. We still want to add some more road-base for additional thickness and add more sand to the front of the dirt berm! Hoping to put it to use soon!

Update: After leveling and packing yesterday.....I couldn’t wait, so taday I added 12 more yards of road-base and about 10 yards off additional sand to the berm face!

Now, I return to the many fall chores around the place! memtb

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Cool range.

I found that when I am shooting my semi automatic handguns to park my truck in just the right spot before I start to shoot. Then 99% of the cases end up in the bed of the truck for easy retrieval. But if I am out in the field shooting it I have learned to canvas the area in one direction and then to turn around and go back over the same area. That way you get a different view of the ground and where you couldn't see a case while walking one direction you can see it while walking the other.

memtb

The tarp method is one we’ve used numerous times over the years, but it’s a “pib” to place it and weigh it down....as it’s seems the wind blows every time we try to put down the tarp!

This fairly large area will give us the opportunity to practice moving while addressing the targets. Homemade tacitcal range! 😁 memtb

Last edited:

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Very Nice!

It's about 75 minutes 1-way to the range i shoot at and it is max of 250 yards if you shoot off a berm.

Reactions: memtb

memtb

Very Nice!

It's about 75 minutes 1-way to the range i shoot at and it is max of 250 yards if you shoot off a berm.
Thanks Rich!

Most of my life I wanted rural property (read......far away from cities/people), and it took a while! At age 35 (1985) I moved to a small Wyoming town, but still had to travel about 5 miles to the local range......which wasn’t set-up for anything beyond 100 yards. 22 years ago, we relocated and we quickly put in our 300 yard range! It doesn’t get used near as much as I’d like, because having rural property comes with ready made, non-stop chores! In spite of the work load.......I hope to “never” live with the “unwashed masses”! memtb

Reactions: RICMIC and Rich M

memtb

Looks awesome ... but isn't all that road-base really expensive?
Yes.....the reason it took years to move forward on that part of the range. My bookkeeper (wife) took a while to be convinced of the importance! We have a dump trailer which can carry 6 yards (very heavily loaded), and only 20 miles to the pit! It would have been quite expensive for them to deliver, plus the dump truck would have likely got stuck (often) in our very soft soil. The sand for the berm came from our river bank about 200 yards beyond the range....take the dump trailer to the closest solid ground near the sand, and give the Kubota a workout loading 6 yards of sand into the trailer. Now to put it to use! I guess you can call it “a labor of love”! 😉 memtb