Social media affects

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I have noticed social media has change our hunting and fishing. People posting bragging photos. It will draw a lot of people to areas they would of never hunted or fished in the past. I have decided I would no longer tell the area or location of my hunting or fishing. Is that selfish or not. I am not sure, but just something I decided to no longer do. I never was into facebook.
I will give you an example:
This weekend I decided to go crappie fishing at a very rural local lake. The lake this Spring and early Summer up to this point has been way over flood pool. My buddy said he had seen a lot of post on a crappie facebook site from this lake. I tend to use a out of the way boat launch on this lake. I get there at 5:40 am. When I pull up to the ramp I am boat #17 inline to put my boat in the water. I just about turned around and left for home. I have never seen this many boats on this lake. This new method of spider rigging is a sight to see. I have never seen so many poles. I fished till about 9:30 am. I did pretty well and kept a good mess of 20 crappie trolling crank baits. When I took my boat out there were 47 trucks and trailers at the ramp.
It is crazy even the old hidden out of the way places are getting hammered.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
A lot of people are of work and enjoying life.

Spider rigging is nothing new. I see people doing it constantly. Besides, you'll never catch all of the crappie out of a lake. EVER.

I get it, dealing with the boat launch morons who are in the boat screaming at their buddies and wives who cant back a trailer in the water mostly happens on the weekends and can be frustrating. From the time I pull in to the time I drive away in the boat is typically less than 5 minutes and thats with a 24 foot pontoon....I never could understand what is so difficult??

I would never post a picture with any prominent objects in the background. And I dont have facebook. So there is that.

Reactions: Prerylyon

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Part of our issue this year is the lack of anything else to do. Camping just about anywhere has been crazy and it makes total sense. People want to be away from urban areas, are able to get most of their work done elsewhere and I am betting that a lot of stimulus checks were spent on boat and RV down payments. Not scientific...but I know of at least two different dealerships that are sitting at 30% of stock and trying to buy used trailers to have some variety. Based on camp site use I am pretty sure this has not been a localized issue.

Might be a good time to buy a slightly used RV or boat come this fall...

Reactions: Prerylyon

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
No doubt, the easy, widespread-dare I say 'universal' access to info-and instantly so, has something to do with the increases in sports venturing far and wide to new places. Everyone has a smartphone. Any 'free' minute can be spent scouring the net for data on where to go and when. I too have benefited and contributed to it. Just my opinion.

It became clear to me a few yrs ago that I would do my best to not discuss specifics of units openly anymore in my posts as much as possible. Postings are immortal and go back yrs. Go Google, 'WY Antelope 23 hunt' and see for yourself what comes up. 😆

Anymore, I try to speak in generalities in open posts and only discuss specific units privately with trusted friends. 2016 & prior, I wasn't so guarded; but I have seen odds go the wrong way yr after yr, so feel I need to do my small part to help keep things less interesting lol. 2020 was by far the worst odds I've seen in the units in WY I have some interest in, and it doesn't appear to be due to reduced tag allotments.

On the other hand, if the unit is nothing special or has plenty of game and room to spare, I don't think its a super big deal to talk about it openly either-however-drawing attention to any spot risks more people coming out, and, subsequently changing the experience for all.

Scott is spot on too; despite some of the real economic hardships faced by many right now, there also many with plenty of time and sufficient funds (truly or just perceived) ready, willing, and able to expand their hunting horizons.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
No doubt, the easy, widespread-dare I say 'universal' access to info-and instantly so, has something to do with the increases in sports venturing far and wide to new places. Everyone has a smartphone. Any 'free' minute can be spent scouring the net for data on where to go and when. I too have benefited and contributed to it. Just my opinion.

It became clear to me a few yrs ago that I would do my best to not discuss specifics of units openly anymore in my posts as much as possible. Postings are immortal and go back yrs. Go Google, 'WY Antelope 23 hunt' and see for yourself what comes up. 😆

Anymore, I try to speak in generalities in open posts and only discuss specific units privately with trusted friends. 2016 & prior, I wasn't so guarded; but I have seen odds go the wrong way yr after yr, so feel I need to do my small part to help keep things less interesting lol. 2020 was by far the worst odds I've seen in the units in WY I have some interest in, and it doesn't appear to be due to reduced tag allotments.

On the other hand, if the unit is nothing special or has plenty of game and room to spare, I don't think its a super big deal to talk about it openly either-however-drawing attention to any spot risks more people coming out, and, subsequently changing the experience for all.

Scott is spot on too; despite some of the real economic hardships faced by many right now, there also many with plenty of time and sufficient funds (truly or just perceived) ready, willing, and able to expand their hunting horizons.
I agree with everything previously stated with the exception of something Prerylyon said. It’s unit 16! lol Get your facts straight buddy!
RIP TG

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
just like everything else, what you put online lasts forever. Folks are desperate for info to make the most out of their “big trip out west”. They’ll spend every minute they can doing online research just trying to get an edge - I’ve done the same. I wouldn’t name any good hunts on OTC or easy to draw units, sometimes it only takes a couple extra apps to blow up draw odds. People ask where I killed a deer it’s usually “just south of Nunya”. That is Nunya, Bidness!”
Just two nights ago my son and I where watching an elk hunting show and saw in the background it was the same unit we had hunted deer on (they were on private though).

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I always found it humorous how folks see a pic of a large dead buck and want to go hunt that unit it was killed in.
sure some units are known for huge bucks but that pic they saw might also be the first large buck to be killed there in a decade . eet is already daid thar ain't nuthin left here worth killun !!!!!! 😆

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I totally agree with Hilltop 100%. I have passed on information, sometimes very specific information to members I trust via PM. There are some circumstances that justify it IMO. When it takes a massive amount of points to draw a unit and I drew it, knowing that at my age (78), I will never be able to hunt it again. I have shared information and will do it in the future in a very limited amount.

The only social media I use or access is Facebook. I use it mostly to keep in touch with former co-workers, classmates and family. I rarely post hunting or fishing pictures.

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I totally agree with Hilltop 100%. I have passed on information, sometimes very specific information to members I trust via PM. There are some circumstances that justify it IMO. When it takes a massive amount of points to draw a unit and I drew it, knowing that at my age (78), I will never be able to hunt it again. I have shared information and will do it in the future in a very limited amount.

The only social media I use or access is Facebook. I use it mostly to keep in touch with former co-workers, classmates and family. I rarely post hunting or fishing pictures.
I agree with CC and Hilltop 100%. I never post anything specific and only PM with those I've built a relationship with or I believe need some guidance as they are going to waste time/money/points going down the wrong path.

BTW: This is the only social media site I frequent. Shouldn't I get some kind of award for devoting myself to only the Eastman Forum family? FB never appealed to me.

Come on Scott, BC needs a new hat or something. ;)

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I always found it humorous how folks see a pic of a large dead buck and want to go hunt that unit it was killed in.
sure some units are known for huge bucks but that pic they saw might also be the first large buck to be killed there in a decade . eet is already daid thar ain't nuthin left here worth killun !!!!!! 😆
This practice is known is my circles as chasing ghosts. This can be accomplished by say for example "I heard Popeye lives up there in the summer, I am going after him." It can also be accomplished by chasing after a buck you saw 5 years ago. Don't chase that ghost too long, get a few spots to scout every year, you will need them all.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I like to read of the success of others but I have never chosen to hunt any particular unit because of the stories I have read.
I just enjoy hearing stories of those who succeed because they put out effort.(one can succeed in most units by doing that) I even enjoy hearing stories of just plain dumb luck. wether it be hunting or any other aspect of life.

I also enjoy helping others succeed , if I am able but generally once I deem them worthy. even though , I still on occasion will slip and help one I don't know.

1. as have shown , people lie about where they kill . so it is probably not wise to chase phantoms
2. I believe most have better success if they stick to a unit and learn it well.
3 I like to hunt but I don't particularly like to travel.
4 I am an idahoan and prefer to spend my money in my state.( and to be frank, no other state has anything I need.) :D

Reactions: dan maule