Sleeping bags.....down or synthetic?

Luke Downing

Apr 1, 2014
So haven't posted for a few days.....you all thought you got lucky and I left huh;)
Well I'm still here to ask a ton of questions
Been doing some reading on sleeping bags and wanted to get some ideas from you all.
I have read the biggest differences in down vs synthetic is weight is lighter with down. Synthetic withstands wet conditions better. And down compresses smaller and weighs less. I keep leaning toward synthetic due to wet factor. But I was wondering would I be better with a down bag and get a waterproof bevy for it? Only drawback I see to this is with the weight of the down bag and also the bevy I would be back to about the weight if a synthetic bag. So what are some opinions from you all

ArmyArcher

Mar 9, 2014
For now, Tucson, AZ
Think it boils down to your shelter options.

If you're going simple and lighter with a tarp or lean too type set, then you may want the synthetic.

If you'll be in a waterproof tent, then the down should be fine.

If you're intent is to keep weight down and use down, for the right price, you can get a bivy to keep your options open.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Is there a reason why down bags aren't covered in a waterproof material? or even gore-tex etc...?

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
I think it has to do with breath ability and ventilation for the occupant. Those waterproof materials can get really clammy from my experience resulting in water being trapped in the bag, reducing loft and making the occupant uncomfortable. There are some new "hydrophobic" down products on the market. Often seen with the name "dri-down" or something similar. They are real new, so there is not a track record for how long they may hold up, but from reviews they hold up pretty well to damp conditions (not wet, or rainy down pours, but damp). They are a good in between option, though you pay for it in price.

But essentially: Down - light and compressable but looses loft when wet
Synthetic: Handles wet conditions better but is bulkier and heavier for the same warmth.

Pick your poison. I think my next bag will be a dri-down bag though (I have my eye on a sierra design back country bed actually).

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Does the dri down still let the bag breathe if you sweat in it? Also what does it do when you have to wash it. I'm in the market for a new bag and looking at the treated down.

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
It does not effect the breathing of the bag. As far as washing it, I don't have any personal experience, but Kelty says that washing it has no discernible effect on it. http://www.dridown.com/faq/ ("dri-down" is Kelty's term for it, different manufacturer's use other terms. they are all "hydrophobic down" though).

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
When I was in college, we rented a basement apartment that had no insulation and no heat in the bedrooms. I used a down bag as a bed spread for two years. In the winter it'd drop down to 50 - 55 degrees. Now I have several down and synthetic bags. Seems like down loses its loft way before the synthetic ever starts to break down. I'd go with synthetic unless yer a winter back packer...

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
Triple BB, that is odd. One of the "selling points" for down is that it holds its loft longer than synthetic bags. Neither should be stored compressed. But YMMV.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
It's not good for any insulation to be stored compressed. It's kind of like your pillow at home, over time it gets flat from the pressure you apply to it.

I will be trying out a synthetic bag this year, have been using down for a very long time and it will be nice to have both options.

kevin_T

Aug 19, 2011
It's pretty simple. If you value weight, pack size and longevity get a decent to good down bag. Really the only thing that can go wrong is poor shell material or poor baffles or poor quality down. If you value cost and potential wetness get synthetic. In a perfect world you have down with a small synthetic exterior. If you are in the
Arctic winter long term consider a vapor barrier or synthetic or an exterior synthetic shell.

Synthetics usually only have so many good compression cycles before they loose loft and when they loose loft they loose some of their temperature ratings. There are studies on this available if you google the correct terms.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
If you prefer down bags look at KUIU super down bags. They can get wet and still maintain there loft.

If your wanting a synthetic type bag take a look at primaloft. There designed for damp climates like Pacific Northwest, Bristh Columbia, and Alaska.

I've used down bags and always carry mine in a Sea to Summit waterproof compression bag.

Like stated don't keep you're bags compressed. It's best to hang the up somewhere after using them.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I use a lightweight synthetic bag for summer canoe trips, but go to down for my western hunting where I need the extra warmth and lightweight features. I do have a Gortex biffy cover that I have used when staying in a Tarpent, but find that the condensation issues inside the cover can be a problem. I leave the biffy at home when I use a tent. A waterproof compression sack is a must, and make sure you return the bag to the large off season bag after the hunt. There are washing products that are specifically designed for down; I bought mine at Gander Mt. I went to an REI store where they let me crawl into every bag they had, and it helped me to make the right choice. Go with a high loft rating 750 to 900, but expect to pay for it.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I love my Down bags. You have to keep them dry. If I bivey I use a synthetic due to the condensation even though I m not a big fan of them.