Slams Anyone?

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
Just wondering if anyone else is planning a turkey grand slam this spring? The wife and I are headed to Florida the first week of March to try for an Osceola. If successful there I'm gonna give the slam a good ol college try. I've got quite a few easterns around here at home, and me and a buddy are already getting a trespass fee hunt set up for Kansas rios. I'm going to hit New Mexico for the merriams leg of the journey. Time to stock up on thermacell supplies!

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
I am also headed back to florida to try to complete my slam for the second time. Yes my other half is also tagging along. I also plan on hitting Kansas this spring also. Good luck on the slam!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
The slam sounds fun, one of these day's I'm going to do it.. As for this year, I'll just do my annual 'half slam.' Easterns in Missouri, and Rio's in Kansas.
Maybe I'll do a slam with shotguns. One with my grandpa's A5, one with my dad's A5, one with my FIL's 870, and one with my Citori.

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
Please keep in mind a slam is not killing all species in a single year. A slam is completed after you kill all species in that type of slam. However, it would be awesome to kill a grand, royal or world slam in the same year

Reactions: DoubleDropMuley

Chase0621

Nov 27, 2016
Hawaii
I had no idea what a slam was until reading what you all wrote lol.

I'm not planning a slam but i am planning to harvest my first turkey this year . The place I hunt at had probably 15 turkey at least in the pasture and there seen there frequently. I'm still watching videos on how to hunt and been practicing calls

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I had no idea what a slam was until reading what you all wrote lol.

I'm not planning a slam but i am planning to harvest my first turkey this year . The place I hunt at had probably 15 turkey at least in the pasture and there seen there frequently. I'm still watching videos on how to hunt and been practicing calls
Set up where they like to go, and you probably dont even need a call! You can set a blind out in the middle of the field, and they'll totally ignore it, and never see you.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
Brianboh if my wife reads this and finds out that I don't have to kill all these birds in one year you're gonna be in trouble man! I'm looking forward to seeing some new country this year, and she might take back a few of the kitchen passes she has given me.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
IMG_8923.jpgLevel one complete. Got extremely lucky and killed a gobbler on day 3 of the Florida hunt. The wind was terrible and made locating birds difficult. Luckily the wife can hear a lot better than me or I would have never found him. It was neat hunting around all of the palm trees, and I'm still trying to identify some of the crazy jungle birds we saw. Also, Osceolas are the wildest wild turkeys I've ever dealt with. The guy working the check station said the panthers are constantly messing with them, and that's why they are so skittish. We saw quite a few big cat tracks on the roads and fire lanes on the WMA while we were hunting. All in all, it was just a cool trip.

Last edited:

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
View attachment 18628Level one complete. Got extremely lucky and killed a gobbler on day 3 of the Florida hunt. The wind was terrible and made locating birds difficult. Luckily the wife can hear a lot better than me or I would have never found him. It was neat hunting around all of the palm trees, and I'm still trying to identify some of the crazy jungle birds we saw. Also, Osceolas are the wildest wild turkeys I've ever dealt with. The guy working the check station said the panthers are constantly messing with them, and that's why they are so skittish. We saw quite a few big cat tracks on the roads and fire lanes on the WMA while we were hunting. All in all, it was just a cool trip.
Congrats, What area were you in that you were seeing panther tracks?

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
View attachment 18824

Kansas was a "blast" also. Pun intended. My buddy and I killed four longbeards on our trip, and I got to see more turkey in the decoy action than I have ever seen before. It was definitely worth the drive up there. I highly recommend a Midwest turkey hunt to anyone that hasn't been before. Big fun.

Still having trouble with picture edits. Bahumbug.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
IMG_3226.jpgIMG_3285.jpg

Small victory for me. Finally got a picture to upload correctly.

The limbhanger was one of the birds my buddy killed. That bird was a stud. The bad part was after he shot that one, a turkey with longer spurs and a bigger beard came in and pranced around the one he had just shot for about 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
Going back to Florida this year, but we will be hunting Easterns in northern Florida. I think that with all the pressure they get, one Osceola may be enough for my lifetime. The wife bought a guided rio hunt in Nebraska at out local RMEF banquet, so I'll be tagging along with her on that hunt also. We're still not finished with deer and duck season here in Louisiana, but I'm looking forward to spring already.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Going back to Florida this year, but we will be hunting Easterns in northern Florida. I think that with all the pressure they get, one Osceola may be enough for my lifetime. The wife bought a guided rio hunt in Nebraska at out local RMEF banquet, so I'll be tagging along with her on that hunt also. We're still not finished with deer and duck season here in Louisiana, but I'm looking forward to spring already.
I'm ready to knock some heads this spring! What are your dates in Nebraska?
I've been wanting to go up and do a hunt in the SW part of the state, in the first few days of April. The gobbling activity would be awesome! I may do it this year, since Kansas bumped their start date back into mid April