(shower test) lightweight raingear

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
So I put on my raingear and stood in the shower and once it got soaked it started seeping through. Does most of the better gear withstand the shower test? Does water pressure have any effect on the gear? Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
What rain gear do you have? I have army rain gear (not really light weight) and the coat has never got any water through it but if Im walking through really wet grass or brush for a long time the bottoms will get slightly damp inside.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I did a test with my Core4 rain gear when I got it (in winter time there wasn't any rain) so I went through a car wash, and stayed completely dry. Sometimes if you spend a little more on nice rain gear it makes a difference. Last year was the wettest it has been here in Utah during the archery hunt and I never got wet, other than some sweat from the inside at times when it was warm.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
It's some stuff from fleet farm I bought for bow hunting around home, but never wore it so I thought I would try it out not sure of the brand off hand. It is soft and quiet so I thought if it would hold out water I would use it on my hunt this year. Don't want to spend a ton, I won't really use it here and only when I go out west, so maybe every other year or so.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I would get good rain gear. I understand not wanting to spend alot on something you might not use alot but on the other hand when you need it you need it. There is not much worse then being wet and cold on a hunt because you didnt have good or the right gear. The weather can change quickly and being able to stay dry can really make or break a hunt.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
I've been thinking about that. It will be a high country hunt so there shouldn't be much for tall grass to walk through. That being said if I get a good jacket and just take the pants I have, they should shed enough water to keep me dry. It's the jacket I'm really worried about. I notice some people don't even take pants with them? Thanks for the advice!

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
The Oregon guys are probably the experts on this subject. The short time I had there, I had to get some good rain gear. Good rain gear seems like a status symbol out there like Carharts out here. I guess it depends on where you are going, but late September and October are generally dry except for maybe snow where I go, so I don't usually don't take the pants just gaiters for wet grass and snow. Like MM says, getting wet and cold can really shut you down, so being prepared with pants is a good idea. I might have to look into some for myself. I might have to try the shower test, that is a good test. Sometimes it can really come down in a hurry and then just shut off like a shower.

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
I would assume water from a vertical location landing on your body/clothes would be fairly practical for testing regardless of location. Dumping a bucket from a rooftop,a shower,or actual rain. Soaked is soaked and leaks are leaks?

Add: Scott. Check your pms

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I ask for one reason, how many of us, have experienced rain with exactly the same consistency as what a shower head is pumping out?

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
http://www.astm.org/Standards/D7017.htm, fun topic but not worth $37, sorry

http://blog.tyndaleusa.com/2013/11/07/what-you-need-to-know-astm-f2733-fr-rainwear-standard-for-flame-hazards/
I guess FR raingear at least is leak tested at 30 psi for 3 minutes. A shower is about 15 psi average I think.

I think you are right ScottR, if it is raining shower hard and blowing sideways I am holed up somewhere, hopefully indoors. I am not a crab fisherman or whatever. If they have tanker planes dumping, hopefully I am very far away, lol. Maybe running through the sprinkler is a better test, lol. The car wash can be a little dangerous and might even rip the seams, not sure how you went about that one.

Last edited:

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I should have been a little more specific I guess, I didn't go through the automatic car wash( the bristles would tickle) I Ty-wrapped the hose spraying full bore to the wall and stood in it twisting and turning every which way to see if I could get them to leak. I was testing out some new gear and wanted to see if it would fail. Like Scott has mentioned probably the best test is to be in the rain it's self. I was in rain for tens days straight on an antelope hunt last year and never got wet, the last night I slept in my rain gear pants and jacket because my tent was so saturated with water my sleeping bag was wet(since purchased a downtek one) I slept warm and dry. The right kind of equipment could be a lifesaver in the backcountry, if you can afford it don't skimp on quality rain gear.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I have seen rain alot worst then my shower! lol Anything can happen in the high country. Last time I hunted high country I got rain or snow everyday of the hunt and it was mid sept. All I am saying is go prepaired with good gear and when you are nice and dry during a rain storm in your rain gear you will not regret the extra $100 you spent on better rain gear!

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I've said this before on here.....this rain gear I have may not suit the mountain hunters, but Rivers West is by far and away the best I've ever owned. The reason I say it may not suit certain hunters is because it does seem heavy. Especially wearing it while walking. The very first time I wore my RW it came an absolute down pour. Best test I could have given it and I was dry where I had the RW west on, but my gloves and hat got soaked and they were supposedly waterproof. Sure showed the weak points of my wet weather gear that day. RW is also rip proof which works well for the briar thickets we hunt here in KY and Ohio.

After reading RUTTIN's blog entry, and owning some Core4 gear, I wouldn't think twice about trying their rain gear out as well.

jlmoeller

Nov 10, 2012
Iowa
mnhoundman,
I live in northern Iowa and at my local Fleet Farm I picked up some British Surplus Gore-Tex rain pants and jacket. The total was $80 I believe. They appear to be new and unissued. I have not personally tested them. And I am not persuasive enough to get my wife to do the carwash test for me.

Jason Moeller