Shotgun for Pheasants

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I'm looking at purchasing a shotgun for phesants. Not sure if I should get a pump, O & U, or semi auto. Should I go 12 or 20?

I was in Sportsmans Warehouse and they have Weathery Orion 1 on sale.

What would you guys recommend?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I love my ruger red label o/u 12 gauge for pheasants.

20 gauge is plenty , I prefer the 12

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I love my AYA SXS 3" 20 ga. It is light to carry, very fast pointing and the 3" #6 is just right. It is a personnel choice about what "feels" right for you. I also have O/U, Pumps & Semi Autos too. Like I said, FEEL!

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I agree, what ever one you like.

I started hunting pheasants with a 12 ga and moved on to a Ruger O/U Red Label 20. But I have also used a Ithica Mag 10 and a 410 double.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Thanks guys. I tried the Weatherby Orion 1. I didn't like the trigger. Also the forearm was kind of bulking feeling to me.

Going to look at a couple recommended. I like to handle them before purchasing. Like CC stated it's the feel.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Ithica Featherlight Pump 12ga...Lightwieght and plenty of gun(pump).
Great for waterfowl also in the 2 3/4-3"
Change barrels and you have a slug gun for Deer.:cool:

Pgidley

Dec 4, 2018
My favorite pheasant gun is my Auto 5 Sweet Sixteen. Very light to carry, and the light recoil lets me get on follow up shots quickly. Runners up would be my 16ga model 12 with an English stock, tied with my 1950 20ga Browning Superposed, which is usually what my wife is carrying. They all have mod chokes. Superposed is improved/mod.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ruger Red Labels, O/U str8 english stocks, short barrels think maybe its 26" on the 12, 24" on the 20.

Loads will depend on season and how far you need shoot and such; but all around I like something with #6s in my 1st tube choked open, and #5s in the 2nd, choked a bit.

(The pic is at least 15 yrs old, back when I used to weigh 300#, ( 220# now), b4 contacts, when I still had my pooch, we still had a lot of fez here in Iowa-that was taken literally in my backyard back then)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Ithica Featherlight Pump 12ga...Lightwieght and plenty of gun(pump).
Great for waterfowl also in the 2 3/4-3"
Change barrels and you have a slug gun for Deer.:cool:
that's what I do with my .870 12 gauge .sometimes upland game ,sometimes my slug gun for deer.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I love how the O/U's handle and carry. But I'm a cheap bastard, and went with a "one gun" approach == one shotgun that would meet all my needs. That was the Benelli SBE (left handed, I might add).

Primary hunt waterfowl and turkeys, with occasional upland birds and sporting clays. The SBE does it all for me, handles well, not too heavy to carry all day in the field. With the bigger 3.5" turkey loads, it does kick like a mule, but when the big tom is in the sights I don't feel it.

If you have the $$$, get what feels and handles best for you. I have always liked the Browning O/U's...

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
My favorite pheasant gun is my Auto 5 Sweet Sixteen. Very light to carry, and the light recoil lets me get on follow up shots quickly. Runners up would be my 16ga model 12 with an English stock, tied with my 1950 20ga Browning Superposed, which is usually what my wife is carrying. They all have mod chokes. Superposed is improved/mod.
I really love those English style straight stocks. One of these days, if I can find one, I'll buy a Citori in that style.

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
I'm sorta a shotgun nut. How big a guy are you? Whats the budget? How strong? Really, Browning O/U seem to fit the XL & XXL guys over 6 feet better than the Beretta's as the Beretta seem to typically fit the 5' 10" and down large and medium in O/U. O/U 30 inch barrels if you are over 5 foot 11. However, I really think for pheasant hunting a 28inch barrel Semi is the way to go unless you are a smaller guy then go with the 26in barrel. I like the Beretta semis gas over the interia benelli. 12 or 20 doesn't matter but I think I would go with a 12. A friend has the orien you mentioned and loves it.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
12 GA Remington 870... Not fancy but they shoot great and stand up to many years of abuse. I have tried many and still shoot one for everything from trap to geese. Won 2 trap meets last year with it and took 2nd in a large sporting clays tournament. Like others have said though- just comes down to feel.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I'm sorta a shotgun nut. How big a guy are you? Whats the budget? How strong? Really, Browning O/U seem to fit the XL & XXL guys over 6 feet better than the Beretta's as the Beretta seem to typically fit the 5' 10" and down large and medium in O/U. O/U 30 inch barrels if you are over 5 foot 11. However, I really think for pheasant hunting a 28inch barrel Semi is the way to go unless you are a smaller guy then go with the 26in barrel. I like the Beretta semis gas over the interia benelli. 12 or 20 doesn't matter but I think I would go with a 12. A friend has the orien you mentioned and loves it.
I'm 5' 8" and 155lbs and very strong for my size. I really like the CZ O/U they feel good to me.