Shared driving to Wyoming late September

SteveCNJ

Oct 24, 2017
I live in Northern NJ and going to the Jackson area of Wyoming for a hunt that starts September 25th. Obviously I could fly but prefer to drive for the 20% chance I score, I'll be able to bring home the meat. Anyone on the East Coast heading out to the area around Sept 21 and share the driving? I have a 2017 Ram 1500.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Doing the same solo trip only to SE Wyoming and from Northcentral PA in mid-October. Did 26.5hrs solo straight home from Colorado in 2017. Goes faster than ya might imagine, especially if ya call your buddies to BS some.

SteveCNJ

Oct 24, 2017
Doing the same solo trip only to SE Wyoming and from Northcentral PA in mid-October. Did 26.5hrs solo straight home from Colorado in 2017. Goes faster than ya might imagine, especially if ya call your buddies to BS some.
I drove 21.5 hrs straight once from SW FL to NJ but that was almost 20 years ago. I'll be 63 before the hunt. Not as easy to do those things any more

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Since I am retired and most of my hunting buddies don't share in my love for hunting different animals I have a lot of solo driving under my belt. But on my trip down and back from the Tucson, Az area from javelina hunting I have a hunting partner. On our way down we stop in Mesa, Az 12 hours from his home 2 hours from mine. But on the way home we do it direct. The best that I have done it is 13 1/2 hours straight through with a quick stop at his home to dump off his equipment and 4 wheeler. I am then usually wired enough that I will stay up for the next 24 hours just relaxing.

However I have also learned not to push it if you want to enjoy it. My solo trip down for my coues hunt I drove for 9 hours and then got a hotel room instead of pushing it the next 3 1/2-4 hours. It was much more relaxed having a break in the middle of the drive.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I like to download hunting podcasts on my phone for the long drives, listen to information that might be helpful when I get there. It helps keep me awake and excited.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Drove 30 hours straight from Michigan to McCall Idaho. Lolo Pass after already driving 20 plus hours was frustrating to say the least. Beautiful country but I couldn’t take my eyes off the curvy road.

SteveCNJ

Oct 24, 2017
Drove 30 hours straight from Michigan to McCall Idaho. Lolo Pass after already driving 20 plus hours was frustrating to say the least. Beautiful country but I couldn?t take my eyes off the curvy road.
Wow 30 hours!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Young folks and young eyes.

I remember working 36 hours straight, the boss finally took the keys out of my truck and told me that he was taking me home.

Trying something like that now would kill me.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Young folks and young eyes.

I remember working 36 hours straight, the boss finally took the keys out of my truck and told me that he was taking me home.

Trying something like that now would kill me.
Yep...I used to work over 100 hours a week and go 6 months without a day off when we were at one of the desert test centers on a R & D test program. Nothing else to do but work, eat & sleep. Have driven many times nonstop from Casper area to los Angeles area for hunting. Too damn old now! (and smarter too!)

manitou1

Mar 21, 2017
United States
I am in my late 50s and make the solo trek to WY every fall. I found that audio books and podcasts are your friend. My drive is only about 18 hours, but I do it straight through. The wife and I do our mid-summer trip to WY straight through too. She sleeps and talks, I drive! lol
Enjoy the drive as your "me time" for what it is.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have two solo trips scheduled for next year; a CO elk hunt in Sept., and a WY cow elk hunt in Jan. I've learned to enjoy the drive as long as I don't push it, and refuse to go non-stop anymore. It doesn't matter that you can't sing as long as there isn't anyone else there to complain. The cigars will likely limit anyone else jumping in with you though. Give yourself extra time on both ends so that you aren't compelled to continue driving when you really shouldn't.

SteveCNJ

Oct 24, 2017
I have two solo trips scheduled for next year; a CO elk hunt in Sept., and a WY cow elk hunt in Jan. I've learned to enjoy the drive as long as I don't push it, and refuse to go non-stop anymore. It doesn't matter that you can't sing as long as there isn't anyone else there to complain. The cigars will likely limit anyone else jumping in with you though. Give yourself extra time on both ends so that you aren't compelled to continue driving when you really shouldn't.
If I was with someone who didn't enjoy a cigar I would abstain.

hutty

Oct 17, 2017
that ride is a grind. Satellite radio and podcasts are the way to go. Done Maryland to Colorado two out of the last three years. Going out is always easier than coming home. A shade under 30 hours.

SteveCNJ

Oct 24, 2017
that ride is a grind. Satellite radio and podcasts are the way to go. Done Maryland to Colorado two out of the last three years. Going out is always easier than coming home. A shade under 30 hours.
That's making good time. Drove from NJ to Laramie, WY in 2017 with a buddy in 27 hours. One drove while one slept. I guess a lot of guys drive either to bring a lot of gear, so they can bring meat home or both.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
If staying in a cabin or hotel I could easily get by flying and get all my gear there. Doing it wall tent style would be a costly pain in the arse to ship everything both ways in advance. Then there's dealing with the meat. Driving's not so bad. Way easier with a buddy though.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I'd rather drive 2 days than fly one. I hate flying.

It is easier with a buddy, but allow some extra time , get some good coffee, listen to some good music and the drive goes quick.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I did 30 hours from FL to WY. Got to share a truck with a fellow - then we alternated at fuel stops.

I'd rather drive/go solo than do that again.