Seeking info on Wyoming Elk Unit 45 type 9 hunt

jaeger63

Jun 14, 2015
Colorado Springs, Co
I'm new to this site but it looks like a great place to discuss, share, and gain info on one of my most passionate subjects, bowhunting elk! I'll have 8 points going in to the Wyoming draw in 2016. That's two under max but according to my research I should still have a decent chance of drawing a type 9 archery tag for unit 45. I'm interested to hear from anyone who has hunted it and what you thought of the area. I'm not asking for specific locations or anything but just your general overall opinion of the unit. I'm a DIY'er kinda guy so I'll be limited to the National Forest as a non resident. If a man is willing to put his camp on his back and hike in can you get away from the crowd? Does the unit have good trophy potential? Would the first half of September be best or the second half? Thanks for any info you may have. I can be PM'ed at bogenjaeger63@gmail.com if you would like to talk privately. Thanks much

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
If a man is willing to put his camp on his back and hike in can you get away from the crowd? -Yes

Does the unit have good trophy potential? -Yes

Would the first half of September be best or the second half? -Less people in the first half but probably more rutting action in the second.

I'm not a bowhunter and have never hunted elk in September so I don't really have any info to offer.

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
45 type 9 tag taking 8 points is something I would try to make the most of. Scout it this year during the rut if possible. Might be able to get a left over cow tag in July and scout and take a cow off NF which those tags require.

robiland

Feb 24, 2014
Utah
You will have a blast. I had the tag last year. I had type 1. But I went in on the 13th of Sept and to scout for the second time, and started hunting on the 15th. I killed mine on day 3. Lots of close calls on bigger bulls, but mine was a 310 bull that gave me a great shot I couldnt pass. If I had the archery tag, type 9, I would hunt as much as possible, but would plan on Sept 10-20. When We got there, it had snowed 12+ inches of snow. The bulls were on FIRE!!! And stayed that way all the way till we left on the 22nd. My friend had the tag too. More people were showing up at the end, so go early to middle. GOOD LUCK!!!