Scopes on a muzzleloader

May 18, 2016
Reno nevada
Hi everyone, my dad and i just drew general deer tags for the fishlake muzzleloader season. Normally i hunt it during the archery season but since my pop is taggin along we went for muzzy this year. After looking at the rules and regulations for muzzleloaders i seen it allows fixed and variable magnification scopes during the muzzleloader season. Am i interpreting that right. They do a poor job at wording them for simple specification.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Yep, for the last couple of years you can put any scope on that muzzle loader that you want.

They started out with just a 1x scope but changed it to allow any magnification on a ML.

That along with allowing saboted bullets and pellets.

Now days it is as close to being a center fire rifle hunt as you can get.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Also as I am sure that you read you do not need to wear any orange.

Full camo from head to toe.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Especially the Savage ML-10 that burned smokeless powder, but also turned out to be dangerous.
While it was technically a muzzle loader it wasn't legal if it burned smokeless powder. The ML needs to be loaded with black powder or black powder substitute and smokeless doesn't qualify.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Too bad Colorado doesn't let us M/Ler's do that!
I have thought about Colorado's rules and regs and then thought about the muzzle loader season running in the middle of archery season without them requiring the archery hunters to wear some form of hunter orange.

Then there are the times that I wonder just who writes up these rules. A lot like having to have your compound bow in a case when you are on a ATV. How about those others that ride around in the back of a pickup truck and shoot deer from the bed of the truck with their compound bows, or the rifle hunters that ride around in a truck with the bolt open and the muzzle of the rifle out of the window.

elktaker

Nov 28, 2015
This is Utah legal when I use BH209

image_zpsplhl2mmm (1).jpg

It is smokeless capable but for use in Utah. I use a 452 caliber custom bullet size with a reloading die pressed down a .458 brux barreled 209 primer and 95gr by weight of bh209 pushes a 344 gr bullet at 2350 fps. Nightforce shv is on it which jumps back and forth between my rifle and this muzzleloader.

Bullet (jacket was in deer but I did gutless method for processing) after dropping a mule deer at 250 yards. Slightly quartered away, went in behind shoulder through vitas, ribs, exited skin in armpit and reentered and got embedded the opposite shoulder.

14567349_10153986170617828_2546070587582808404_o_zpsxwwiufs5.jpg

I would have shoot 450 yards in a good wind at a buck and have shot to 725 multiple times with sub Moa groups with BH209.