S&W 69 initial review

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I found a deal on a used S&W 69 5 shot 44 mag revolver recently and got it picked up today. I have been selling a few rifles that don't get used much and replacing them with a few more handguns. I recently got the Glock 20 I've been trying to get to run hardcast well and decided to pick this one up also.

The gun empty weighs 37oz on my postage scale, right about advertised weight. It has an excellent trigger. I don't have a scale, but I can't tell the difference by feel single action between it and my 386XL Hunter that has had the trigger worked over. The previous owner may have had the trigger worked over, I don't know. Double action I think it I feel it stack a shade more than the 386 before it breaks, but it's darn close. Either way it's great as is and won't need any further work.

Shooting it I started with Magtech 240gr JSP loads. They are a pretty mild load for a 44 at 1180fps and 741ft/lbs of energy. They are priced more reasonable than some at $32 from Midway, I will try Ammoseek in the future to see how cheap I can find them. Midway had very good reviews on them including some from people who had used them on hogs and deer.

With this ammo it's pretty comfortable to shoot. Recoil and muzzle rise are substantially more than my 386XL Hunter with HSM 180gr bear loads, but not uncomfortable. It also shot very well. 10 rounds at 20 yards all hit in the roughly 3"x3" chunk of carboard I stapled to my target board. That was shooting offhand and single action.

After that I went to the Buffalo Bore lower recoil 255gr HC ammo. It's still a hot load at 1350fps and 1032 ft/lbs of energy. It had a lot more kick than the lighter loads. I only shot 5 due to the rain coming back in. It brings the muzzle up pretty good and would be slower for follow up shots. I think it hit lower than the other ammo I shot. I had the carboard stapled to the lower RH corner of an old target and missed the paper and cardboard with all 5. I could see where the pallet I stapled it to was torn up right below the paper.

All in all I like the gun so far. It will have substantial recoil with hot loads, but all 44's will and especially this light of a 44. I'll get more shooting done later and check back in. It points like my favorite 386XL Hunter, they have the same grips and frame. Just a heavier and more powerful version of my old favorite. In my hip holster I can definitely notice the weight difference. I'll probably end up with a chest holster also.

Here are a few weights I took of my handguns tonight on the postage scale. All are fully loaded weights, gun + ammo:
S&W 60 5 shot 357 3" barrel 25.4oz
S&W 386XL Hunter 7 shot 357 6" barrel (scandium frame) 32oz
S&W 69 5 shot 44 4.25" barrel 41.6
Glock 20 16 shot 10mm 40.4oz (41.4 with 6" KKM barrel and 44.7 with KKM barrel and Streamlight TLR-1 light)

Last edited:

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
mcseal2, thanks for the review. I keep looking at, and drooling over, the 2 3/4 inch version.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Pretty cool to see you post stats with your review!

I just weighed my G20. I have 15 rounds in it (I don't top off the +1) and it just weighed in at 40.9oz. Mine is bare, no accessories, and I'm a little heavier than yours which is probably due to a heavier bullet. (Right now I'm loaded with Remington green/white box 180gr FMJ.)

10mm auto is a great round and I still love it but it's not really "hunting caliber" other than for self defense. To give me something good to carry on mid-day scouting hikes when I don't want to bother with my rifle, I picked up a Ruger Super Redhawk Hunter in 44 rem mag. I'm thrilled with it.

It's really a ridiculous handgun from one perspective: 59oz (loaded with 6 rounds of Remington 240gr JHP). But that's a third the weight of my rifle which makes it a pleasure to carry on hikes. And the long barrel gives me long sight radius so even though the recoil is much higher, I'm way more accurate with it than with the Glock. I'm still getting used to it, but several times I've made 1" groups at 25yds and I feel pretty confident with using it for deer, hogs, coyotes, etc out to 100yds while on hikes.

Try 44 special for target practice. It's enough of a cost savings to make a difference.

3 weeks til Colorado draw results are announced. Getting antsy!

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I've owned several 44's through the years and shot a lot of 44 special. It's sure pleasant to shoot and runs similar energy levels to 45ACP which is a fine round in it's own right. I just figure I will practice with the Magtech so I get used to lining back up after recoil quickly with the mid-level recoil. I will do a lot of my practice with my 357 built off the same frame or my Single Six 22LR so it won't get to expensive.

I went moose hunting last year and back at the main lodge I was talking to a couple guys that were bow hunting. They had trouble getting within bow range of the bulls they saw and they saw some giants. As we were talking they were packing up their gear and I saw them putting away a Ruger 44 with at least a 7.5" barrel. I was thinking at 80-120 yards on a moose size target I'd have used that with the right bullets. Moose often allow for more than one shot and a few 44 caliber hardcast holes drilled through them will do all an arrow would and more.

I probably won't intentionally hunt with either the 10mm or 44, both are more for defense and peace of mind to me. If I do hunt with a handgun it's usually during antlerless season and I use the 357 Ruger Blackhawk some friends gave me as a wedding gift. They like getting pics of it being used on a hunt.

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
Cool thread !
I am planning a fishing back pack trip into the Bridger Teton wilderness next year and will be spending 5 days fishing and considering my options. This area is considered bear central and from what I saw in 2018 its an accurate description.
I have been considering a Glock M20 in 10mm as bear protection because of the number of rounds in the mag and the FPE. Of all the auto loaders that one can carry -except for the Auto Mags, the 10mm is king. No argument. However I have a M657 3" in .41 mag (42oz)that has more FPE, although it has less rounds ! My logic - if its logic, is that when the defication hits the rotary ocilator I will be lucky to get off a few rounds ? I happen to think that the M69 may be perfect for back country travel for the issues of ..
1, carry weight - heavy guns get left behind
2, power (FPE) - power of a solid hit vs quantity
3, and carry bulk - again bulky guns get in the way and are left behind

The only other revolver I would look at would be the S&W 329 PD a scandium frame 44 mag, this would be ideal as it will be carried far more than shot!
I am hung up on the hammer lock and a frame mounted firing pin of the new S&W product. I knew some people at S&W years ago and the addition of these "features" were because of the California requirements. The political aspect of that has prevented me from owning the newer S&W products.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I have not had the lock feature engage unintentionally on any of my smiths with hot loads. That said i also wish it didnt have it. The recoil of a 329 might be enough to do it. The only smiths i have heard if that issue on are the 329’s. I think the 69 is as light of a 44 as id want to shoot. The 329 would sure be sweet to carry.