JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Joined back in 90, seams like it was yesterday.

They are a great organization. But they are turning into a mass mailing send us money outfit.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I've been a member for about 5 years. I often wonder how they make money with the expense of all the mailings. I know we've discussed this theory in the past and it obviously works. If nothing else, I enjoy the free note pads and address stamps. :)
I give 1-2x per year and attend a local banquet. Great cause as are most of the wildlife orgs, excluding peta. :poop:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I dropped them when they tried to sit the fence on wolf reintroduction in Idaho and I've never looked back. they may do some good but they don't do much for Idaho.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
This is my first year as a member of theres after seeing all the great things they did with the reintroduction of elk in michigan several years ago and some of the other reintroduced elk in other states

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Between the wolf issue and the spider bull i left them behind
Never once saw any land opened for the average hunter but the board always seemed to have tags and new spots to hunt
Jmo

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Between the wolf issue and the spider bull i left them behind
Never once saw any land opened for the average hunter but the board always seemed to have tags and new spots to hunt
Jmo
I can actually show you quite a bit of land that was opened up in Utah when they purchased a ranch and then turned it over. It is prime elk habitat.

What was the problem with the spider bull? I know that the outfitter had a bounty out on it but nothing about the RMEF.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Jim, I just thought the whole spider bull was unethical and not about fair chase. And for rmef to promote the kill and feature it in the magazine just rubbed me wrong.

Glas to hear that they open some land just never seen it and at the time i left seemed like it was always some place that remained closed to the public but at least protected from development.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem with the way that the spider bull was taken down was that it was during a muzzle loader season and the shooter used a high power rifle. However he was hunting on a auction tag and like it or not it put over $400,000 into the G&F bank account. It's been long enough that I don't remember the actual bid. But that hunter has picked up 4 or 5 tags in Utah by being the highest bidder. I believe that the spider bull was his only elk tag but he has a Henry Mountain, and a couple of Antelope Island deer tags under his belt also with all of them going for over $300,000.

A neat thing on the spider bull is that I saw him around 3 years before he was shot and he was interesting at that time, and the location where they shot him at was within a 1/2 mile of where we saw him crossing a road.