research advice

Swedishhunter

Jun 24, 2016
Looking to put together a DIY antelope hunt next year in either Wyoming or Montana. I want to do my research to maximize our chances for a good and enjoyable hunt. Here is what I plan on doing:

1. Go through the fish and game websites (hunting and herd forecasts, drawing odds, harvest statistics, etc)
2. Get Block Management Unit maps for Montana and Walk-in maps for Wyoming
3. Buy landownership maps from OnxMaps
4. Buy preference point in Wyoming
5. Once I have narrowed down the areas, I plan to put a few phone calls to fish and game and also post some questions here to see if I can get any specific insights into that unit.

What am I missing? Anything else obvious? (of course make sure hunters and gear are in good shape, but this thread is more about locating an area to hunt).

maninthemaze

Apr 4, 2016
Kentucky
My brother and I hunted Wyoming last year for the first time. Had blast and both killed out in the first two days. I took a nice buck while my brothers was pretty small. He was happy though.

#1 Buy your preference point when they go on sale this year, I think July 1st, but not 100% sure.
#2 Pick the area you want to hunt that has the best draw odds for one PP, while at the same time, offering the biggest amount of public ground. Don't forget, you'll get second and third chance areas as well.
#3 Make sure to take a GPS that will work with your OnXmap.
#4 Call the local game warden to get an explanation of which roads are public and which are private. Many people think that the two track roads are all public, they are NOT. Also, ask him about land owners that allow FREE trespass access.
#5 Practice shooting in the wind!!!! It never quits blowing in Wyoming.
#6 Have fun!!!

maninthemaze

Apr 4, 2016
Kentucky
Forgot to add, once you have an area picked out. Call the Bureau of Land Management and purchase maps for the area you want to hunt. They are only $6 apiece shipped to your door. Well worth it.

hoshour

Veteran member
You can save yourself a great deal of time by starting with the Members Research Section for Wyoming antelope in Eastmans' Hunting Journal #154 and for Montana antelope in Eastmans' Bowhunting Journal #95. You will find both in the hard copy MRS Annual 2nd edition that will be available later in the fall that has all the states and species from this last year. You can order the individual issues if you don't already subscribe. Then, go through the resources you mentioned.

You should generally find better antelope in Wyoming than Montana. Also, think about putting a second choice when you apply in case the first choice is full.

The main issue with only having one point is that you'll end up with units that have a lot of private land. Once you know which unit you got drawn for, get going as fast as you can getting landowner permission using the info on onXmaps. Or, better yet, if you can get permission before you apply, you can draw a decent area much easier by applying for a Type 2 license that is for private land.

Swedishhunter

Jun 24, 2016
A lot of good advice already! Will definitely get some BLM maps and the Eastman's journal. We have one preference point from last year and will make sure to buy another one in July. Two points does seem to help a bit even though it won't get us the most attractive units.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
You can save yourself a great deal of time by starting with the Members Research Section for Wyoming antelope in Eastmans' Hunting Journal #154 and for Montana antelope in Eastmans' Bowhunting Journal #95. You will find both in the hard copy MRS Annual 2nd edition that will be available later in the fall that has all the states and species from this last year. You can order the individual issues if you don't already subscribe. Then, go through the resources you mentioned.

You should generally find better antelope in Wyoming than Montana. Also, think about putting a second choice when you apply in case the first choice is full.

The main issue with only having one point is that you'll end up with units that have a lot of private land. Once you know which unit you got drawn for, get going as fast as you can getting landowner permission using the info on onXmaps. Or, better yet, if you can get permission before you apply, you can draw a decent area much easier by applying for a Type 2 license that is for private land.
I don't know where you got the info on type 2 tags are for private land only, but there is 15 units that have type 2 tags, of which only one is a private land only tag. The rest are either different hunt times or restrictions to certain areas with in the unit, but you can still hunt public land with in those restricted areas.

Sent you a PM Swed.

hoshour

Veteran member
I don't know where you got the info on type 2 tags are for private land only, but there is 15 units that have type 2 tags, of which only one is a private land only tag. The rest are either different hunt times or restrictions to certain areas with in the unit, but you can still hunt public land with in those restricted areas.

Sent you a PM Swed.
I could have said that better. I didn't say all Type 2 is private land, I said, "you can draw a decent area much easier by by applying for a Type 2 license THAT IS for private land." It may not say private land only for those units but you'll find it restricts you to a part of the unit that ends up being mostly private land. Unit 114 Type 2 is an example - it restricts you to hunting within a 1/2 mile of irrigated land. I can think of several other units where Type 2 ends up putting you mainly on private land. The point was to consider alternative ways of getting a decent tag with fewer points and Type 2 will often do that.

maninthemaze

Apr 4, 2016
Kentucky
Why would restrict yourself to within 1/2 mile of irrigation? If you really wanted to increase your odds for a given unit, buy the "special" tag. Yeah, it costs a whole lot more, but it does increase your odds to draw your specific unit.

hoshour

Veteran member
Why would restrict yourself to within 1/2 mile of irrigation? If you really wanted to increase your odds for a given unit, buy the "special" tag. Yeah, it costs a whole lot more, but it does increase your odds to draw your specific unit.
Well, you might do that in 114 because going from regular draw to special draw takes you from 9 points to 8 points, but going Type 2 special takes you down to 1 point needed last year. And, as farmers and ranchers know, antelope love that lush green feed. Not saying your chances are equally good you'll find a B&C buck that close to fields but it's definitely an option for a guy with only 1 point.

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
Make sure you know which roads are public vs. private, which will help determine what public land is accessible. Start with the county websites, they often have maps posted. Verify with phone calls. Good luck.