taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Tom Clancy's Executive Orders is a really great read. He had a really good storyline about a pandemic. Jack Ryan for President!

Reactions: Winchester
Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Other than the Bible, current read is Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin. It has been very good so far!
The Coming Plague. by Laurie Garrett Pulitizer prize winning Scientist and Author 1994. Nobody saw this coming?
She laid it all out for us in 1994 ....of course no one bothered to listen but it makes you shake your head. I'm re reading it. I didn't do anything about it either.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
The Coming Plague. by Laurie Garrett Pulitizer prize winning Scientist and Author 1994. Nobody saw this coming?
She laid it all out for us in 1994 ....of course no one bothered to listen but it makes you shake your head. I'm re reading it. I didn't do anything about it either.
took your advise and downloaded it, last night . only through chapter 1 so far , but pretty interesting read.

it's no wonder no one listens. scientists been predicting worst case scenerios ever since scientists have been . and media has been trying to stir folks to a frenzy, ever since reporting began.

nothing wrong with doing what one can to be prepared .it is also wise to do what one can to mitigate the spread but also can't spend entire life cowering in fear of what will likely never happen.
I will be first to admit , I never thought this virus would get this bad. that said, I still don't really think it is all that bad in the grand scheme of things.

now don't get me wrong. all death is a tragedy and I wish it on no one . but to put this in perspective a bit , thousands die in the US every day. harsh as it sounds , a large percentage of those who die from corona , were likely going to anyhow.

we are mortal . that means our lives will one day end.if not by corona ,it will be by one of the other million things that are out there to get us.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
took your advise and downloaded it, last night . only through chapter 1 so far , but pretty interesting read.

it's no wonder no one listens. scientists been predicting worst case scenerios ever since scientists have been . and media has been trying to stir folks to a frenzy, ever since reporting began.

nothing wrong with doing what one can to be prepared .it is also wise to do what one can to mitigate the spread but also can't spend entire life cowering in fear of what will likely never happen.
I will be first to admit , I never thought this virus would get this bad. that said, I still don't really think it is all that bad in the grand scheme of things.

now don't get me wrong. all death is a tragedy and I wish it on no one . but to put this in perspective a bit , thousands die in the US every day. harsh as it sounds , a large percentage of those who die from corona , were likely going to anyhow.

we are mortal . that means our lives will one day end.if not by corona ,it will be by one of the other million things that are out there to get us.

Glad to see you checked it out. reading it years ago was the first time I had heard of Ebola and sure enough its lurking out there. We will continue to have these things cause we travel so much stuff can be spread so fast. This stuff can't travel by itself ...WE move it around. So the less travel the less it spreads. Hence the lockdown. If the pond example is correct ...and so far it is ....there will be 30,000 Americans dead by this time next week. On the good side of things it appears that things are slowing down in NYC. More people will die tomorrow than today but hopefully the doubling time is getting longer. That's the start of things getting better. Trouble is NYC is further along so places like Florida and the Big Easy are next. We have no other way to fight this but at least we understand what's happening. Imagine how people felt during the Black Plague in the 1300's. They had no clue... everything was rumor and fear.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
The Bible is my daily read.
x2. and that is commendable. however it is not my only read.

if you like to study the bible ,you might like the free coarses Hillsdale college offers. I took the genesis story coarse, just for the heck of it. will probably do the david story one of these days also.
not for everyone but I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AKaviator