Region A deer?

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
A friend and I did our first western hunt this year to eastern Montana and we are hooked. For next year we are considering going back, or looking at a new area/state and region A looks interesting. The reason for this area is a few fold. We have a friend that has a home in sundance we could potentially stay in for free, and in that case we would bring our families along to stay in "camp" while we hunt. The terrain also looks amenable to having my son come out a couple days to hike a couple miles with us. He will be almost 8 and is tall. It looks like access is hard outside the national forest and trophy potential is low due to that and the pressure, which is fine.

We are already building points in WY for deer and don't want to burn them so we would be trying for second choice tags. As I recall second and third choices don't burn points. What I'm having a hard time with is the draw odds report for region A.

In the random draw it looks like there were fewer total applicants between 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices than the quota. For the PP draw it looks like there were 600 more people with 0 points that applied than remaining tags. In the special draw there were far fewer applicants than the quota even down to 0 points.

What I really want to know is what is the % chance we draw region A as a second choice tag? Is that 76% from the PP drawing with 0 points or which number should I be looking at. Maybe there isn't a way to figure it out. I want to learn to understand the odds reports since we will be wanting to draw deer tags in the next few years and pronghorn tags even sooner (2017 or 2018). I appreciate any help.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
The applicants that didnt draw in the regular pp draw went into the regular draw and drew tags in it. You want to look at the regular random draw where it shows 1st 2nd and 3rd choice. When the leftover list came out last year A had 86 tags leftover. Unless something changes alot from last year you should draw 2nd choice in the reg draw.