Rare Merriam Turkey

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
The luck streak continues.... go this big ol unique tom way back in the backcountry of CO. Any one ever seen this before? Never heard or seen anything like it. Either way, it's at the taxidermist!

turk.jpg

turk1.jpg

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I think they call that a “smoke” phase. I have seen one but it was a hen in Kansas. Neat looking bird! I’d get it taxidermied too!

Last edited:

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
Very nice bird, congrats!!!

When I was going to grad school in Mississippi, I was a member of a hunting lease about 10 miles east of Starkville, MS. On this property, you would occasionally see birds having similar coloring to yours. I was told by one of the elder members of the club that a storm had ripped the roof off a turkey farm releasing several white birds, which ultimately bred with the native, wild population. Some of the birds had even more white than yours, and I once saw a hen during the deer season that was a cold gray all over, very cool looking birds for sure.

I never got a chance to kill one, but was close one morning on two strutters that were hened up about 100 yards from the property boundary. That's the closest I ever came to taking such a fantastic trophy, much like yours.

Congrats again on a very cool bird!!!!

MuleyHunter

Mar 23, 2011
Fruita, Colorado
Absolutely beautiful ! Congrats ! I was trying to kill one like him last year and could not get him off the private I could not find him in the fall or this year..

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
Years ago I saw a big tom the color of a golden retriever. I swear that thin looked at me seated in my truck and was at eye level. Like color phase bears, I guess....