Quest for the Super Slam- Tom Miranda

Rob

Feb 21, 2011
Iowa
I like Tom Miranda, I wish him well. The one thing that keeps the vast majority of bow hunters from going after their own super slam is a lack of $$$. I think given the opportunity that there would be many here that would love to try. But for now we can thank people like Tom that let us tag along in their videos or books and dream of our own.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Umm ya. Just the sheep alone cost 35,000 Stone Sheep, 15,000 for dall, 25,000 for dessert in Mexico, and I think 15,000-20,000 for Big Horn in BC. That is a lot of money, even for sponser. Good luck.

brudno

Feb 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Umm ya. Just the sheep alone cost 35,000 Stone Sheep, 15,000 for dall, 25,000 for dessert in Mexico, and I think 15,000-20,000 for Big Horn in BC. That is a lot of money, even for sponser. Good luck.
I think your way low on the desert sheep cost. If your smart about it, you can put away money and look for cancelled hunts, I've seen stone sheep hunts for under $10,000. Its not unrealistic to be able to hunt Stones or Dalls if you plan ahead and save and are smart about looking for you hunt. Deserts and Bighorn I think if you start early enough with points and with a little luck its very reasonable to obtain those tags within ones life time as well.

Polar bear would be the biggest cost and hurdle to overcome in my opinion.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I think your way low on the desert sheep cost. If your smart about it, you can put away money and look for cancelled hunts, I've seen stone sheep hunts for under $10,000. Its not unrealistic to be able to hunt Stones or Dalls if you plan ahead and save and are smart about looking for you hunt. Deserts and Bighorn I think if you start early enough with points and with a little luck its very reasonable to obtain those tags within ones life time as well.

Polar bear would be the biggest cost and hurdle to overcome in my opinion.
Most desert sheep hunts are in the $45,000 to $55,000 range unless you bid on a conservation tag which will run you $150,000 or more. Definitely Polar bear is pretty spendy and you can't even bring the hide back. I think the superslam would run you around $300,000 unless you do some DIY type hunts for some species, but a lot of them you'll need a guide by law unless you become a resident of the state or providence.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Most desert sheep hunts are in the $45,000 to $55,000 range unless you bid on a conservation tag which will run you $150,000 or more. Definitely Polar bear is pretty spendy and you can't even bring the hide back. I think the superslam would run you around $300,000 unless you do some DIY type hunts for some species, but a lot of them you'll need a guide by law unless you become a resident of the state or providence.
I agree, Musk Ox, Polar Bear, the two northern sheep, and grizz will cost a butt load, unless you are a resident of BC. Everything else could be done DIY, if on a budget. I have meet a few guys up on the hill that are going for there slam, but everything must make P&Y. I asked the guy if he came from new or old money. His response was, I didn't walk all the way back in here. I said O rode a horse. He said, nope took the company helicopter. He later asked me if I had seen any 180+ bucks, and I said ya but he is not coming out of his spot, and if he is in that spot you will never get a chance at him. I took him to where the buck was, and he said that buck will will die of old age. I was hoping he would have give me ten or twenty grand, or a least fly out me, my deer, and my gear off the hill. No luck on either.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
A buddy of mine got a text from Tom Miranda. He got his desert ram. His DVD of all 29 NA on folm is going to great IMO

I got this text message last night at 11:30pm.

Hi Jake,

162 4/8

Great stalk and video kill.....

Grand Slam and Super Slam are on video!!!

Still in Mexico....home next week. Thanks for all the support...

TomM

A buddy of mine got a text from Tom Miranda. He got his desert ram. His DVD of all 29 NA on folm is going to great IMO

I got this text message last night at 11:30pm.

Hi Jake,

162 4/8

Great stalk and video kill.....

Grand Slam and Super Slam are on video!!!

Still in Mexico....home next week. Thanks for all the support...

TomM
Is he using Chad Lenz to assist in guiding like he did with his other sheep?

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Here's a photo of Tom's desert ram he took on the 9th of May. A few animals he had to hunt more than once to get one. An amazing accomplishment and he got it all on film. I know most can only dream of ever making this happen but it still quite a feat IMO.

Hi Guys... WoW.. Thanks for all the kind words and awesome support. My Super Slam has been a 13 year quest culminating with this desert sheep shot on Carmen Island Mexico May 9. It was my 4th trip to Mexico to hunt desert sheep and 36th day of hunting these beasts....

I believe I am the first bowhunter to document all 29 animals on broadcast video with all arrow impacts and recoveries. Not all my animals have been officially scored..... but I believe 26 of the 29 score high enough to make the P&Y record book.... A couple of these animals were taken with lighted nocks for better video representation of the arrow flight and these animals are not eligible for P&Y at this time.

The Grand Slam Club has listed my Wild Sheep Grand Slam as archery Grand Slam #51. The new Super Slam Organization hasn't officially given numbers out to the Super Slam hunters as of yet.... as some slammers have failed to officially register their Super Slam's. Since the Organization just formed in 2009, and will likely assign the official Super Slam order of hunters and achievements in the near future. I would urge everyone who has taken or is attempting the Super Slam to join the Super Slam Organization and register your animals.. more info is available at www.superslam.org

Thanks again for all your positive comments. I am very fortunate to represent bowhunting on television.... and I hope that some of my TV episodes & this upcoming "Super Slam of North American Big Game" DVD will bring to light the tremendous achievement of ALL the Super Slam hunters- past, present and future. Tom Miranda

Here is the list of my hunts with year, species and number of (trips) to get the kill shot on video. 1998 1.BLACK BEAR (1) 2.MOUNTAIN GOAT (1) 1999 3.BROWN BEAR (3) 2001 4.PRONGHORN (1) 2003 5.QUEBEC LABRADOR CARIBOU (1) 2004 6.ROCKY MOUNTAIN ELK (1) 7.MIDWEST WHITETAIL (1) 2005 8.MUSKOXEN (1) 9.CANADIAN MOOSE (3) 2006 10.MOUNTAIN LION (1) 11.ALASKAN MOOSE (2) 12.SHIRAS MOOSE (1) 13.ROCKY MOUNTAIN BIGHORN (1) 2007 14.POLAR BEAR (1) 15.STONE SHEEP (1) 2008 16.DALL SHEEP (1) 17.MOUNTAIN CARIBOU (1) 18.MULE DEER (3) 19.COLUMBIA BLACKTAIL DEER (1) 2009 20.GRIZZLY BEAR (1) 21.WOODLAND CARIBOU (2) 22.SITKA BLACKTAIL DEER (2) 2010 23.DESERT COUES DEER (3) 24.BARREN GROUND CARIBOU (3) 25.CENTRAL BARREN GROUND CARIBOU (2) 26.TULE ELK (1) 27.PRAIRIE BISON (2) 28.ROOSEVELT ELK (3) 2011 29.DESERT BIGHORN SHEEP (4)