Public Land DIY

chasingbulls

Jun 29, 2014
Hey fellas im headed to Wyoming this year to help a buddy out on his antelope hunt, unit 38...I have never been out there before and have recently been researching about the different areas, i was wondering which unit in your opinion is the best for public land hunting. i will only have 1 pp for next years draw. any help i would greatly appreciate

Last edited:

tmitch

Feb 12, 2013
Idaho
with 1 pp it's gonna be hard to pull some of the tags, but I'm sure there are some opportunities. Any preference on which corner of the state you hunt in. You looking for a trophy area, or just a fun antelope hunt with lots of public land opportunity? Just for the record, I think you can kill a quality antelope just about anywhere in WY, if the stars line up right.

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
Here's my advice, when you find the unit you want to apply. Come out this fall to help your buddy. Spend a day in the unit you are applying for next year and go meet some landowners to start building relationships. This will go a long way with gaining access.

chasingbulls

Jun 29, 2014
ssliger/tmitch-

were hunting in Laramie this year unit 38, I would like to pull a 70+ out, I just got the unit map in the mail for 38 from Wyoming game and fish I saw actually how checkerboarded the unit is for public/private land, and like other people are talking about is the landlocked areas you cant get too. so I was wondering from you veterans out there whats the best unit that offers good public land hunting that I can draw with only 1 pp. thanks again for all your help

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
If this is ur first time to Wyoming ur gonna love it.Don't know much about that unit but keep buying points. With three or even two points u can get a great tag in the special. It's always a tone of fun to see so many animals.

Last edited:

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
One pp in the special draw could get you a good hunt in HA 27. Good amount of public land in the Thunder Basin National Grassland.
There's no "best unit" for your criteria (public land, 1pp draw). My suggestion is to look at a Wyoming Gazetteer, which will show the areas of the state with the most public land. From there overlay the state's antelope areas. Then, look up the draw odds of each on the G&F website to start narrowing it down.

If you'd have asked this question just last year your choices would have been more. Hopefully the populations will begin to rebound.