Please explain WY preferance points vs wait time

mgorm16640

Jan 8, 2016
Worland WY
I'm fairly new to hunting the west. I moved to AZ from PA 4 years ago and have been hunting as a resident of that state for the last three years. We got a job offer out here and I jumped on the opportunity to hunt the west. I have gotten Elk, Antelope, Deer and Javalina tags without a problem.

We are moving to Worland, WY this spring and am looking forward to being able to hunt there as a resident. Will begin buying PP there after I become a resident. I understand that I will be able to draw elk, antelope and deer fairly easily (non-trophy units) love filling the freezer. I am currently 39, what is the expected draw time for moose, sheep, goats or buffalo hunts. Is it worth me starting to buy points now, or is it to late considering I'm almost 40. The only reason I ask is that I have been reading recent posts about possible changes in WY law in regards to non-resident hunters and that it could take well over a person's lifetime for a non-resident to draw one of these trophy tags. I know that res vs. non-resident is different, but how long does it take a resident to draw one of these tags?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I wouldn't buy any points now, because residents do no have points or a point system. Once you are a resident, you won't be able to use your points. Not sure about the point situation on sheep, goats, moose Y bison...res vs nonres. I'm sure you will get an answer from someone who is a resident and knows.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Be aware that you need to reside in WY for 1 year before you can apply for a resident tag so you might want to apply for a nonresident tag this winter so you can hunt this fall. It will take you a long time to draw a sheep or moose tag but you're young enough to draw a tag before you keel over. I'm 55 and have 3 moose points but plan on hunting them one more time. Same thing for sheep, I only have 16 points but I'm confident I'll hunt them once again as well. By the way, nonresident tags are easier to draw than residents.

It's definitely worth buying the points, your not as old as you think you are. I wish I was 40.:)

Boehunter

Mar 26, 2014
Wyoming
sheep and moose are a minimum of around 15 points mountain goat is random draw like elk deer and antelope. Cow moose tags can be drawn with much less if your looking for the experience and some good meat good cow tag 5 points.

mgorm16640

Jan 8, 2016
Worland WY
Thanks so much for the info. Definitely feel better getting in line for sheep and moose. Honestly I hope to draw while boys are still young enough to transfer tags to. I didn't know Mountain goat were same draw as elk or deer. I just assumed it would be like sheep and moose.

I think in only takes 6 months to establish residency, hope to be able to buy some OTC meat tags next fall. If not, then will have to wait a year.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
I guess since you'll become a resident and points are much cheaper then, you might as well buy points. I have a lot of doubts that you'll draw before you're 70 though. Take a look at this: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/TOTAL_PREF_POINTS_MS.pdf

You have over 11,000 people ahead of you for sheep and over 19,000 ahead of you for moose. Sure, people will drop out but that's a ton of guys ahead of you...

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
If you really want to do something spectacular, buy an Arizona lifetime hunting license before you leave Arizona so you can apply and draw in the resident pool after you move. I'd have my pinkie finger removed for that license....surgically that is ;)

As a WY resident you will have fantastic mule deer hunting even in non-draw "general" areas such as region G or Region H.

Don't just apply for points for sheep, moose and goat, actually apply for a license as a resident. You would have a 4-6% chance to draw one of those tags in your very first year applying if you pick quality units with better draw odds. Those are very good odds for a trophy tag in today's highly competitive applications.

Let me give you an example:

Sheep: ≥ 1% odds in several good units

Goat: 0.6 to 0.8%

Moose: 1.5% to 2.7% draw odds in several good units

Bison: 1.4% odds (no preference system)

Last edited:

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Thanks so much for the info. Definitely feel better getting in line for sheep and moose. Honestly I hope to draw while boys are still young enough to transfer tags to. I didn't know Mountain goat were same draw as elk or deer. I just assumed it would be like sheep and moose.

I think in only takes 6 months to establish residency, hope to be able to buy some OTC meat tags next fall. If not, then will have to wait a year.
In Wyoming, game and fish requires you to live in the state for a FULL year before your are considered a resident for game and fish purposes. So you will not be able to buy resident tags this year, so applying for Non-res tags will be your best chance to hunt this year.

Watch applying for lifetime resident tags after moving to another state. A buddies uncle had to forfeit his Montana resident license because he successfully drew a resident moose tag in NY with his lifetime license. Not sure how WY handles it but it's worth checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtncowboy

May 10, 2014
WY
Sorry to rain on the parade, but I don't think you can transfer tags either. On the bright side there are many wonderful opportunities here. Best of luck.

birdhunter

May 8, 2011
Black Hills, Wy
As MtnCowboy said, Im more than 90% sure you cannot transfer tags to your kids. I may be wrong since I haven't really looked into this but I have never heard of anyone being able to do this. You have some great elk hunting around Worland in general areas. Just ask around where to go and you can hunt elk every year if you don't draw your limited quota tags. Whats nice about Worland is that its in the middle of the divide. You can easily go to the big horns or head west to the big mountains!! Good luck, and welcome to this fabulous state!!

mgorm16640

Jan 8, 2016
Worland WY
Sorry for the confusion, I meant transfer my AZ tags to kids until they are 18. If I continue to build points and can resist the urge to cash them in on a unit, they should get to one trophy hunt each before they are adults.

Keep in mind that there are two other tag transfer options also still available: (1) By a parent to his or her minor child, or by a grandparent to his or her minor grandchild, subject to provisions specified in the Arizona Hunting Regulations and applicable rules, or (2) To a qualified 501(c)(3) organization for use by a child with a life-threatening condition or permanent disability. For a list of some 501(c)(3) organizations providing hunting opportunities to children with a life-threatening condition or permanent disability, visit www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting.shtml.

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
I agree. Thats the issue with Pt systems. My 10 year old daughter will never have a realistic chance at drawing a top unit in wyoming for elk and unfortunatly I can't transfer my tag to her to one day hunt one of the best units