Picking your Camp Site

MattDavis

Jan 23, 2016
Colorado Springs
Alright guys I need some help here or guidance.

I am back packing in Colorado about three and half miles from the nearest trail for the muzzleloader season and I will be at about 11,000 feet elevation and close the tree line. The question I have is how to pick the best camp site.

Given that I have never set foot in the area (trust me I tried but family had other plans) I am doing all my scouting using my GPS apps. The site I am looking at is a half mile away from nearest vantage point and according to internet there is a small body of water there as a water source but I don't know if it is flowing or even if it is still there.

Once on site I plan on setting up camp near the water using trees in the area as wind blocks/security.

Am I on the right track?

Am I too close to the area I will be hunting?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
My own little mental checklist is. 1) What's my water plan 2) Predominant wind direction. Don't want my stink blowing in the direction I'm hunting 3) Am I glassing from camp 4) Out of the wind. Tucked in some where. Look up for deadfall.

I try to camp as close to my glassing spot as possible.

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
I like to set up camp where my scent has no chance of effecting my hunt area, which is either an adjacent basin or on a ridgeline near or on a saddle. A half mile from your nearest glassing spot seems far but not too far. You got to factor in the time to get there based on the terrain and conditions. Usually really early in the mornings the thermals are screaming down hill. Which for me I don't want to be on my perch for very long before glassing light gets there. 5-10 minutes max.

I also don't like to camp hundreds of vertical feet away from a water source. Each campsite is unique.

MattDavis

Jan 23, 2016
Colorado Springs
Alright guys look this over for me.

The top of the picture is true north. The two marked areas are potential camp sites I am looking at.

The area is just east of the continental divide, so am I safe to assume normals winds blow from West to East?

The closest area I am hunting is that too the east. There is what I think looks better hunting to south but this is more a central location while hopefully being away from others.

Look it over and give me your advice, please tell me if I'm being a fool or an idiot.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
You may not ever know for sure until you get there. Half a mile to hike in the dark isn't too bad. Maybe you'll end up finding a closer place and can find a small spring that isn't on a map, or carry water to camp.

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
Your pictures are hard to decipher. The southern spot looks better to me. I bet there will be water all over by the looks of it. Very rarely does the wind blow with any consistency in the high country, I'd worry more about the thermals. If there is wind it'll be westerly to easterly and northerly to southerly or southerly to northerly. You're going to have to pay attention to the forecasts

What ever species you're after just work hard. 3 miles in is a good start

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Im heading in tomorrow for a 6 day highcountry hunt...My camp is 50 yards from my main glassing point I want to be at each morning. . Im at the highest point, in a secluded bunch of trees so my scent will be carried up and away no matter where it blows...But im a long way from water, so I will just fill up extra on my way up tomorrow and will hopefully not need to refuel again, but if i do, ill just take a long afternoon to do so. . Every area is a bit different on where I would want my camp etc...I have scouted this area multiple trips this summer, and thats how I know where the best site is for what im hunting...You will just have to be a little open to playing the situation once you get up there

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I wouldn't worry about it. Elk will be where you find them. I hunt them at 8,000-9,000 feet and then find them down around 7,000 feet. Unless you have been seeing them at 11,000 feet I would hunt lower.

MattDavis

Jan 23, 2016
Colorado Springs
The reason im planning on hunting that high is because lower at between 7000-8000 is where there is a lot of easy access plus talking to people that live locally they said they all and everyone that comes to hunts there hunts lower because it is easier.

So basically im betting on me working harder than most paying off. Plus the top of the drainage I really want to hunt will be the top end of where the lower access is so im hoping other hunters will move them towards me.

I got around the area with the family but never actually scouted my hunting area, please tell me if im crazy.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Based on your pictures, it looks like it could be steep, rocky terrain. Bank on it been 10X steeper and 10X harder to get to. From experience, GPS images really do not put elevation and steepness into account unless you use topos. It could be a dry year up high (some recent moisture), so the best plan is to mark water on your way in as a backup. It seems like no matter where I camp, elk always wonder in and bugle all night. Whether I'm 2 miles from my hunting spot or 0.5 miles, they always stumble through at some point. Ridgetops to the East of your target spot is ideal, September winds are generally W or SW during the day, unless a storm blows through. I hardly ever pay attention to wind in the am, but rather direction of thermals in relation to the elk..... Usually not much wind early

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I would be ready to move to a lower elevation if you don't see anything the first couple of days.

Hunters could be hunting lower elevations for other reasons other than it is easier. That may be where the elk are.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Agree with JimP... The elk will be where the elk rut zone is..... Find it and you are golden... It's hardly ever in the open highcountry unless super secluded...

MattDavis

Jan 23, 2016
Colorado Springs
I've got allot to learn, those pheasants and deer in Kansas never played these games growing up.

JimP If the lowest point of elevation for say 10 miles in every direction is 8000 feet and that is highways and small towns does that change anything?

Plan is if I haven't seen anything by Monday to relocate.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk