Peroneal Tendon problems - boot suggestions

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
All, I have a peroneat tendon problem and this causes me to frequesntly roll my ankle with great pain. Side stepping along hills this year was a chore. The boots I used this year did not work out well at all, Scarpa makes a great boot but they were not high enough to offer support for me. I think I am looking for a high cut boot in the 200 gm or no insulation range at all. What do you all suggest ?

VinnyG

Oct 4, 2018
Colorado
There are several brands that provide great support! Depending on whether you have wide or narrow feet, may help limit these choices. Generally speaking, the higher the boot goes, the better the support is. In my personal experience, I get no signifiant benefits beyond 7". It really depends on the rigidity of the "uppers", not necessarily the length. One thing to remember with most of the following is that they will require a little more break-in to be comfortable, and should be prepped well ahead of hunting season. Hope these help!

Crispi Nevada GTX https://www.crispius.com/nevada-legend-gtx-boot
Any of the Kenetrek Mountain boots https://kenetrek.com/collections/mountain-boots
Lowa Tibet (GTX or hunter) https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hunting
Danner Pronghorns. https://www.danner.com/pronghorn-8-brown.html[/URL]

Another option, either by itself or in combination with any of these are quality insoles, ankle wraps, and braces. Although if you plan on hiking any great distance, those items can lead to blisters and stiffness. There are also orthotic socks designed to help with weak ankles as well without restricting circulation. If you have questions or need more info, I have a decent bit of experience so shoot me a pm anytime! Good luck!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I don't have that issue but..........my left Achilles ruptured while making a Jordan like move on the basketball court in 2004. Got it repaired, did the correct things and take care of it regularly. 2006 was the first year I really started to push it in the woods. Since then I went back and forth between Danners and Kennetreks. Both did well but seemed to always provide some sort of issue that developed into tendonitis of different tendons depending on the activity in the foot.

Fast forward to this year. July 4th was our fishing trip in the mountains. My Achilles was swollen slightly due to me aggravating it while wearing flip flops. I received my new Crispi boots ( Nevada uninsulated) and gingerly put my foot in them. After lacing them up I could tell they were different. They provided enough correct support for me that during he next 4 days of hiking in the back country and fishing high lakes......my tendon was getting better. I never would have guessed that.

Sept this year was my first year with them for archery......after 20+ some odd days in the woods putting any where from 4-13 miles on them a day.....I will most likely never get a different pair again. I'd get back to camp and the first thought wasn't ...get my boots off. The combo of the all soft leather inside, molded sole and lacing them like a hiker vice a hunter made an enormous difference.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
KT tape also is an option . I would guess there is a way to provide specific support to that tendon with minimal effort and it's alot let cumbersome / bulky than braces, supports etc. I use it for my achilles when it acts up.

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
I changed this year also from wearing Kenetrek Hardscrabble’s to Crispi’s Nevada Legend. Don’t get me wrong, the Kenetreks are a great boot for support of ankles and such. Side hill great as well, but my issue was always in the toe box. Most other boots, runners I have troubles with. Well, right out of the box the Crispi’s were, as SLUGZ said, “Different”. I never had any issues with them and truly like how they fit around my feet. I would recommend either brands but those Kenetreks, as most will attest, take time to get broke in and comfy. I’ll be buying Crispi’s from now on. Good luck!