Peoples guide to Mexico

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
one of the best book ever written on camping an hanging out is The Peoples Guide to Mexico by Carl Franz. Written in the 1970's and upgraded constantly for years the how Carl his wife and his slacker buddy Steve traveled all over Mexico back in the day. Its so well written and researched and crammed full of good camping and cooking ideas and tons of really funny stories. History, first aid, fishing, all sorts of information. Yes it's dated but so are Jack O'conner's books and they are still great. There is a web site but pick up a copy in a used bookstore. Even if you never plan to head south for the Winter you will learn lot's of survival tricks that can use en El Norte. Plus the stories are a riot.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
For over 30 years I traveled all over Baja and mainland Mexico in my C/O camper, towing my boat or dune buggy. Eventually I bought a home in Cabo in 1985 and also (along with 5 buddies) developed a 100 space RV park in Cabo, which is still going strong. I sold my share in 1990. I was on the Bd of Directors for a large Baja travel club and led lots of caravans to Baja and the mainland. After being hassled, arrested, shook down by the military at check points and generally given a bad time by government officials and police with their hand out for "mordida", I sold everything in 1995 and have not been back. Gringos seemed to have a $ tattooed on their forehead and were treated as such. Too bad because it was a paradise when I started going there in the 60's.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
I'm sorry to hear that but not surprised. I spent time in Baja years ago and loved but with the trouble in Mexico I don't think I'd like it now. Any place you can camp on the beach for free and catch fish right in front of your tent is O.K. with me.

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
I also spent a lot of time down there we had a family beach house there and it was great we fished hunted surfed off roading great food and drink yes it was a paradise and in my mind its goon forever just like CC said when a punk ass federally puts a M16 to your head and orther crazy stuff iv seen I'm out and will never go back.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
everything I have any desire to do is right here in the states, hell, right here in my state. sad world we live in.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
yup. have never been to mexico and will not ever go. unless of coarse, there are no jobs here and I am forced to go there to do the jobs mexicans won't do.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I've been to Mexico a few times and Belize once, mostly fishing, but there's no place like the east cape of Baja. Every species you'd want all within a couple miles of the beach.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
everything I have any desire to do is right here in the states, hell, right here in my state. sad world we live in.
No Marco Polo Sheep or Afghan Urial hunts in your future? lol Me neither I'm too poor! I would love to go to Alaska and hunt brown/grizzly bear and dall sheep and go to Africa at least once. Mexico holds no appeal to me though, unless somebody wants to sponsor me on a desert bighorn desert mulie combo hunt!

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
You know somethings wrong when a country like Mexico that has oil, minerals, Great Historical sites, Miles of open beaches Some of the worlds best fishing all sorts of great things should be so badly run and corrupt. When I started this thread I was just telling about the guide book and how there are good camping tips in it but I kind of figured it would end up here. It is a shame Mexico's gotten this bad cause there are lots of cool places there. Plus you ALWAYS get nasty sick.

Oh those great Desert Bighorn hunts on Coronado island cost $90,000. WOW. No gracias amigo. Es muy rico para mi.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Back in the 60's when I first started going there, I thought I had died and gone to heaven! Best fishing and diving I had ever seen. When Baja 1 was paved in the early 70's, thing were of for about 20 years. I bought a house in Cabo (a place to die for!) and was partners in a flourishing business and planned to retire there. Boy did things go bad in a hurry. Too bad too, as the Mexican people were beginning to really benefit from the tourism until all the big shots got greedy.

Rant over............

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Plus you ALWAYS get nasty sick. [/QUOTE said:
When I was a kid we used to go to Juarez once a year and I can say I never once got sick there eating the food or drinking the water from the faucet. My wife says that's probably why I have a cast iron stomach to this day.:cool:

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
every person from Mexico i ever met where fantastic folks except the federallys and the cops. If you go to a beach in mex you might see feds with M16 but building a wall is bad ya ok

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Yeah one great thing about traveling in the third world and seeing real poverty is I don't complain about the US much. Yes we aren't perfect but compared to most places we are doing OK. I think that when someone gets a little power and a M-16 when they haven't had much in life they tend to abuse it. I always cut my hair short and never ever had any kind of drugs with me in Mexico. I always liked the Mexican people fine but I did my best to hide from the cops of any kind. I liked Los Cabos so much I wanted to ship hammocks from the Yucatan and open a store called Jammoca Mecca. But I never did.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
When the Federalies road blocks started, one thing I learned real fast.....scrape off your NRA decal from your window. On one trip my truck, cabover camper and boat were tore apart because they kept asking "Where are the guns?"

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
You know somethings wrong when a country like Mexico that has oil, minerals, Great Historical sites, Miles of open beaches Some of the worlds best fishing all sorts of great things should be so badly run and corrupt. When I started this thread I was just telling about the guide book and how there are good camping tips in it but I kind of figured it would end up here. It is a shame Mexico's gotten this bad cause there are lots of cool places there. Plus you ALWAYS get nasty sick.

Oh those great Desert Bighorn hunts on Coronado island cost $90,000. WOW. No gracias amigo. Es muy rico para mi.
ill have to check that book out