Patagonia: A company we can all support

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
http://www.patagoniaworks.com/press/2017/2/6/patagonia-to-withdraw-from-outdoor-retailer-in-response-to-gov-herberts-decision-to-rescind-bears-ears-protection

Great thread. Patagonia is a retailer we can all get behind. I don't own any of their gear but that will change. Last month their CEO warned the governor of Utah if they don't support public land then UT doesn't need their business. This is huge retailer in the outdoor industry standing up for what is right!

“Utah Gov. Gary Herbert signed a resolution on Friday urging the Trump administration to rescind the Bears Ears National Monument, making it clear that he and other Utah elected officials do not support public lands conservation nor do they value the economic benefits."

In response, Patagonia will no longer attend the Outdoor Retailer show in Utah and we are confident other outdoor manufacturers and retailers will join us in moving our investment to a state that values our industry and promotes public lands conservation.“ – Rose Marcario, President and CEO, Patagonia, Inc.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Patagonia is not a hunter friendly company!!!!!!!! The locals and the ones affected didn't want this monument, at least in this form.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Patagonia is not a hunter friendly company!!!!!!!! The locals and the ones affected didn't want this monument, at least in this form.
Copy that. Researched them and I was unaware they are not hunter/fisher friendly. I like the public land support but not the former. Thanks for the FYI. I will likely pull this post. Can't have the best of both worlds (grin).

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
i like the stance they took, and that's a bonus. not a fan of their gear though. prob cuz its seems to be directed at hippies and snobby fly fishermen:)

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
On 2nd thought I'm going to leave the post. Educational. I didn't know about their support of anti-hunter groups maybe others don't as well.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I've never purchased anything with their name on it and never will because of their long standing anti-hunter stance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jrod

Jan 30, 2012
Livermore, CA
I don't think to many Nat'l Monuments allow hunting and fishing once they are designated anyways. Obama designated a bunch of them during his reign

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
It's an odd feeling to be for a particular legislative issue, and find that standing with you are members of groups that are vehemently opposed to other things you have have strong beliefs in favor of.
Happens. Had a friend that was President of the local Audubon Society. He hated hunting, guns etc. He told me that in fact hunters were their best friends because we spent $ on habitat, not lawyers. He asked me not to attribute that to him, which I have not to date. The enemy of my enemy is my friend...

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I'm trying to find info in regards to Patagonia being anti-hunting and having a problem finding much information. For the most part, they seem to not have an official stand on hunting. I did find that the founder, Yvon Chouinard, is a hunter. I did find some information concerning a buffalo hunt near yellowstone that they spoke out against due to it being a "canned hunt". I do see that they fully supported the wolf reintroduction. Plenty of clothing companies that support hunting that I would buy from over Patagonia, just wondering if there is anything concrete on their anti-hunting stance.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
I'm trying to find info in regards to Patagonia being anti-hunting and having a problem finding much information. For the most part, they seem to not have an official stand on hunting. I did find that the founder, Yvon Chouinard, is a hunter. I did find some information concerning a buffalo hunt near yellowstone that they spoke out against due to it being a "canned hunt". I do see that they fully supported the wolf reintroduction. Plenty of clothing companies that support hunting that I would buy from over Patagonia, just wondering if there is anything concrete on their anti-hunting stance.
I've found a few things nothing major. Similar to your findings. Patagonia does not comment on hunting, for or against, as doing so doesn't benefit their business model.

#2 Patagonia: By supporting Cascadia Wildlands, Predator Defense, Klamath-Siskiyou Wildlands, and the Native Fish Society, Patagonia earns the number two spot in our anti-sportsmen company directory! I’ve volunteered with other hunters that wear Patagonia and posed the question – why are you wearing that? The response is generally “they make good clothes.” While I cannot deny that, once again I have to ask why would you support a company that finances organizations that are intent to eliminate (or drastically reduce) your ability to enjoy your way of life? I like this analogy – if you friend stole from you, would you still be friends with him? I guess most would answer with a resounding, no! Companies supporting the previously mentioned organizations are essentially stealing from you. They’re stealing from you, your children, and your grandchildren by eliminating or reducing the ability to successfully hunt and fish.

Here's the link: oregonoutdoorcouncil.org/top-5-shocking-companies-hurting-you/

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Cant support them not only do I hunt but I also backcountry ski off a snowmachine... I am one bad hombre in patagucci's eyes. Also the hippy of the hipsters seem to love to ware it up here in Co anyway. I mean nothing says trust fund quite like head to toe matching patagonia gear.

With that said their wool under layers are still pry the best out there and a bunch of us were using them before hunting companies started putting it out there. While the kuiu is still not as good or durable as the gucci wool under layers put out over 10 years ago - I bought a set from KUIU as I cant support patagucci.

No worries about bringing it up good to see all angles of a company.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Let me get this right.
Many of you say you can't support Patagonia because they are not hunter friendly but yet they do support public land.
Many of you support the republican party yet the are anti public land and that makes them not hunter friendly as well.
I'm confused.:confused:

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I think my biggest reason for not liking Patagonia is due to one day of fishing the south fork river with a spin rod and CD 9 Rapala. not just any spin rod but a Temple Fork spin rod:) (check them out)!!!! I had landed 3 big browns and several Cut throats between 3 and 8 pounds. fallcreek.jpg a boat rolled in and the guy yells at me that its his hole now, hahaha. the mentality of some of those river guides!! had they just rolled in and asked if they could fish the hole I would've been happy to move on. they were all sporting Patagonia hats:) left a sour taste. dumb reason but is what it is.