OnXMaps...disappointment...some upside

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
Skip my vent session, if this has been covered before...

It appears that the ONXMAPS:Multi-State Regional Chips have been retired. I typically go through the update process on my chips around this time every year. While I am sure it was a business decision that makes $ense for he company, for me it is disappointing. They were the best value for the money 3-4 states on one chip. One chip to update each year...yeah the specific land owners name wasn't on there I didnt care for the land owner names as much as the best value for my $$$.

ONXMAPS is providing a premium single state chip as a concession for each multi state chip owned.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem that I saw with them is that they didn't list the owners names where if you are looking to get permission you still needed to do some leg work to come up with it to get permission to access the property. So it was still a trip to the county office to find out who owned it.

Now if you were not concerned on who owned the property but just wanted to know if you were on private or not then they were OK

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I too found this out last year and was disappointed. Will cost me more money now.
I was not concerned with landowner names. I'm a public land hunter.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Most Forest Service and BLM surface maps will show you public/private fairly well to the point that you should know where you are located at. But that was the difference between them and OnXMaps. OnX also showed land ownership where the surface maps don't. I like to know who to contact for access instead of trying to hunt someone up at the coffee shop.

I have also always figured that if you are close enough to private to question where you are at then you are too close.

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
Most Forest Service and BLM surface maps will show you public/private fairly well to the point that you should know where you are located at. But that was the difference between them and OnXMaps. OnX also showed land ownership where the surface maps don't. I like to know who to contact for access instead of trying to hunt someone up at the coffee shop.

I have also always figured that if you are close enough to private to question where you are at then you are too close.

I 100% agree...most counties any more have a local GIS map that shows landownership...if we wanted to know the owner we would go there...typically the county gis map is updated frequently. I always grab a BLM/FS paper map to use as a quick reference bust most of those maps are 3-10 years old and aren't updated a lot while the chips are updated annually. I like knowing where I am on public so i can determine how far I can go before private.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
I also found out this summer that my regional chip was no longer supported for updates. I never needed to know landowner names, but oh well. I sent my old regional chip back to onxmaps, and they mailed me back a brand new Wyoming state chip asap. I wanted to make sure that all unit boundaries were updated since I've had the regional chip for quite a few years. We stopped going to Montana a few years back, and I've never hunted Idaho anyway so I don't feel to bad about it. Besides not supporting my regional chip anymore, onxmaps customer service has always been great. No complaints here.