Once in a Liftetime tag? Then what..?

Do you keep applying in other states for another once in a lifetime tag?

• Keep applying

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Depends on the animal, sheep vs goat vs moose, etc.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Quit other states, once I draw wherever, help out others.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • depends on size/score/hunt experience.

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
might be wishful thinking... but let's say you apply in many states for sheep, goat, moose.

What is your plan for after drawing that once in a lifetime tag in a particular state,
Do you keep applying in those other states you have been or do you throw in the towel?

Let's assume you're successful on that once in a lifetime hunt.
and we're talking about the same animal in multiple states, ie if you draw a moose, do you keep applying in other states for another moose tag?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you haven't been applying in multiple states for their OIL tags you might as well consider yourself out of luck for drawing a second one when you are starting at the bottom

I have 24 Utah bison prints and am 68 years old and my chances of drawing are quite slim. But even if I draw this year I don't believe that I can wait a other 24 years to draw a different animal.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
If you haven't been applying in multiple states for their OIL tags you might as well consider yourself out of luck for drawing a second one when you are starting at the bottom

I have 24 Utah bison prints and am 68 years old and my chances of drawing are quite slim. But even if I draw this year I don't believe that I can wait a other 24 years to draw a different animal.
thought Utah had some good odds for bison...? seems like they're expanding. perhaps that depends on unit/season/res/non-res? especially with 24pts... good luck!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Due to the drought they are reducing tags in both of the units that have bison. They had a OTC tag in a unit where bison would migrate off of the Ute Tribal lands but the Ute Tribe has now installed a fence to keep them on their lands so that hunt might not even happen this year.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I've shot both moose and goat in Montana, I still apply and have a lot of points for each.

I've shot moose and sheep in Wyoming, still apply for moose, can't for sheep due to regulation change. I also apply for goat in Wyoming even though I've shot one in Montana.

Killed a desert ram in Arizona, can't apply for them again, but can apply for Rocky Mountain Bighorn and I do.

I also apply for sheep in Nevada, Colorado, Texas, and Montana even though I've shot one in Wyoming.

If I'm allowed to apply, I will.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Moose in WY (19 pts.), wanted a Shiras to go with my AK moose. Will keep applying in UT with 13, barring any huge changes in the system or my finances. Wished I would have been applying in CO, MT and ID, but didn't think I could afford it at the time, so I won't start now. I'd apply in ID, but choose to put in for EDA instead.
Sheep I dropped in WY, back when the first major price jump came. It was tough to do with 8 or 9 points, but couldn't afford both Moose and Sheep at the time. I have 18 in NV and 21 in UT for Desert Bighorn and will probably keep going until I die, even if I drew out in one of them, I'd keep going on the other :), Unless I just decide I can't afford it somewhere down the road. I will continue with CO DBS as long as the system stays the same also! Also wished I would have applied in AZ earlier in life, but I am so far behind I just apply and hope any time I'm doing the deer draw, just because there is a chance :). Probably keep doing that, as long as prices don't go crazy for bonus points!
I have goat points in NV (9)and UT(13) and will keep going with those, but will most likely not draw and will hunt AK again soon so I'll just decide year to year on those, when they are available (NV).

Last edited: