Oklahoma Opening Day Youth Hunt

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
20160402_082736.jpg

It's been a rough week for me. I've built a lot of fence this winter and pushed my self to far. I got a hernia in my navel. I had surgery to repair it this past Wednesday. My 9 y/o son Pake is my hunting buddy. He was a little long-faced when we found out I'd be recovering from surgery during the opening day of youth turkey. We sat a ground blind up Tuesday evening and watched 2 big toms strutting with 13 hens. I've saw them all winter building fence so been keeping good tabs on them. My Dad took him this morning & he killed this tom. He weighed 21 lbs. 15 oz., had a 10" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. He killed this bird with his Grandpa using his Great Grandpa's old shotgun that my Grandma bought him new in 1953. And he killed him on my Grandpa's old farm that we now own. I thought that was pretty cool. Good luck to everyone out chasing longbeards!

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
WGI_0111.jpgWGI_0130.jpgWGI_0112.jpgWGI_0139.jpg

They are going after hogs in the morning. They pulled cards on our farm on little river and it appears the hogs have moved back in! They are taking the evening off with me to watch the Sooners, Hopefully we can beat Nova again, its awful tough to beat a good team twice!

Last edited:

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
I took my 11 & 14 year old daughters out Saturday but only had jakes come in. We gave them a pass. Congratulations to your son.
I've got girls about that age. The oldest just turned 15 and the youngest will be 12 in September. I can't get them to hunt. They always say they are going but never do! They love to fish, just not to interested in hunting?

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
Congrats Pake! That's awesome! Its unfortunate that you couldn't take him but pretty cool the way it all unfolded. I recently purchased a browning from my wife's grandfather. I already have one from my grandfather so now both my boys will each have a browning from one of their great grandfathers passed down to them. Hope you have a speedy recovery!!

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
Thanks, I've got 2 gun safes full 60+ long guns 20+ handguns. My favorite ones are the old ones that were passed down to me through the years.

racksackssales

Apr 8, 2016
www.racksacks.com
Hunters also are allowed to carry both archery equipment and legal firearms during any modern gun season, again provided they have the appropriate licenses and follow other regulations to participate in those seasons.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Hunters also are allowed to carry both archery equipment and legal firearms during any modern gun season, again provided they have the appropriate licenses and follow other regulations to participate in those seasons.
Actually in order to carry archery equipment on a firearms season the season should say any legal weapon and not just firearm season.