No More Game Cameras in AZ!

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with game cameras.

As always, folks will screw things up themselves.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Yeah IDK. I'm on the fence here. On the one hand when I was new to hunting I definitely found game cameras helpful to learn an area, as one of my scouting tools. But I never used any during the season I hunted, it was always pre-season scouting to see what was in the area. When cameras were something you had to hike out to and service, that's one thing, but now that so many have cell connections it's easy to see how some guys might just sprinkle them around an area. It's always an arms race isn't it? If one guy has them, everybody has to get them to compete, and pretty soon you can't go to the bathroom in the woods without being somebody's entertainment...

Ranchhand02

Jan 3, 2012
Western Oklahoma
Game cameras are one of my favorite things about hunting. I enjoy using them to see what is on my property. I only use them to hunt private property for white tails. I have never used them out west.

Reactions: Mnbogboy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Yeah IDK. I'm on the fence here. On the one hand when I was new to hunting I definitely found game cameras helpful to learn an area, as one of my scouting tools. But I never used any during the season I hunted, it was always pre-season scouting to see what was in the area. When cameras were something you had to hike out to and service, that's one thing, but now that so many have cell connections it's easy to see how some guys might just sprinkle them around an area. It's always an arms race isn't it? If one guy has them, everybody has to get them to compete, and pretty soon you can't go to the bathroom in the woods without being somebody's entertainment...
I say just tromp round necked as a jaybird and folks won't need to pass no durn law. they'll be rushin to take dem damn cameras down lickity split . no pun intended.

Reactions: hunttrap

hunttrap

Jan 22, 2016
Eastern Nebraska
I think the anticipation to check my cameras is about the same for checking my traps. Never know what your going to catch on them. I use them for deer. Ive learned alot about deer behavior throughout the years using them.

Reactions: kidoggy

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I think the anticipation to check my cameras is about the same for checking my traps. Never know what your going to catch on them. I use them for deer. Ive learned alot about deer behavior throughout the years using them.
I agree, we end up with pictures of bobcats, fishers, wolves and all sorts of stuff. Usually my daughter and I fight over who is going to check the chip. I do think that the cellular cameras are a step to far though.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
A friend in Utah said its ridiculous how many cameras are on the mountain just outside of salt lake over every "mud hole" as they call them. Some of them even have long range antennas to help better transmission of images and everything else.

I like trail cameras but I do not agree with the trail cameras that transmit a picture via cell phone for during the season hunting use. I can see how this could be taken advantage of very easily.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I was watching a hunting show just last night and watched as the owner of some land was dumping feed for deer. He then explained how he'll set up his camera to get a idea of what was in the area, but then he made the mistake of saying that when the camera transmits the image of the buck that he wants to shoot back to his cell phone he will be able to come back out and shoot it. Which he did, a very large whitetail buck.
I also need to go and read a article in a magazine talking about game cameras and how the Pope and Young and perhaps Boone and Crocket are considering trail cameras that were used in taking animals to not to be fair chase. I just skimmed the article the other day so now I'll have to read it.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
as with all technology it can be used for good or it can be abused. ban then or not there will always be those who do it anyhow and few will ever be caught. or punished if they are caught.

I often wonder how many game camera users were vegetarians before the technology came out????????????? :ROFLMAO:

that was a joke . it's funny cause it true.🤪

much the same as a tiny endowed man driving a corvette to compensate for what is lacking. ;) 🤪:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: hunttrap

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My wife's uncle uses cellular trail cameras on his lease out of state. He gets 250 pictures day of deer. Its almost an addiction to him.

Personally, I kinda like being surprised when I get there and I'm way too cheap to pay for a plan like he does so I dont use them. But I did put up a bunch of older junk cameras in case someone decides to try and steal them while I am not there....

I can honestly say that I have never killed a deer that I had a picture of within 250 yards of the camera where I got a picture of that specific deer. But I do see a lot of the deer that I get pictures of and I know whats in the area. I like to think it helps us establish a list of deer we should be focusing on to keep building out genetics. Of course that all goes out the window when the neighbor shoots everything that walks by. lol

Reactions: kidoggy

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A couple of years ago on the Utah muzzle loader hunt there were 6 or more hunters after a single buck that they had pictures of. That buck hung out around the same place all year long and they targeted that area hard each and every day. Utah has a dedicated hunter program that allows a hunter to hunt all three seasons, archery, muzzle loader, and rifle. All 6 of these hunters were dedicated hunters so they were putting a lot of pressure on a small area.

I got lucky and found that buck after 5 days of hunting. He was Mr. Monroe that I posted the story and pictures of. I learned of those hunters just a week ago when I was talking to a property owner that has a cabin in the area that he was shot at. The fun thing was that those 6 hunters continued to hunt for him for another 5 days on the muzzle loader hunt and a couple of them went back during the rifle hunt hoping to find him. I never did set up a camera on the area that I hunted. I was just lucky.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Thats probably why you killed him. You were looking for a deer instead of looking at a camera viewfinder trying to see what time he was drinking water. lmao.

Reactions: JimP

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
My wife's uncle uses cellular trail cameras on his lease out of state. He gets 250 pictures day of deer. Its almost an addiction to him.

Personally, I kinda like being surprised when I get there and I'm way too cheap to pay for a plan like he does so I dont use them. But I did put up a bunch of older junk cameras in case someone decides to try and steal them while I am not there....

I can honestly say that I have never killed a deer that I had a picture of within 250 yards of the camera where I got a picture of that specific deer. But I do see a lot of the deer that I get pictures of and I know whats in the area. I like to think it helps us establish a list of deer we should be focusing on to keep building out genetics. Of course that all goes out the window when the neighbor shoots everything that walks by. lol
same can still be done without using the cameras during an open season.

I have no skin in the game so it don't much matter to me either way.
my only concern would be that once they ban them during season the next ballet would be voting to do away with them always.

unless your a bird watcher or some such silly shit.