newbie question

turk870

Dec 22, 2012
tn
this will be my first time in Colorado.we will be doing a week backpacking in.the question I have is will be hunting mule deer 2nd season(elk otc openes same day)looking at google earth it looks like there are quite a few logging roads up top around 10k.i assume they are probably closed duiring season.if they are closed will there still be a lot of foot traffic on them.trying to deside on wether to start up there or move down into the canyons where there are no roads.and stay away from the possibility of the crowds.
thanks

Colt

Feb 21, 2012
The Forest Service has put locked gates across most of the 4WD and logging roads in the state to stop motorized access.

Brado16

Mar 14, 2014
Northern Wisconsin
Focus on where the easy access points are and where other hunters will travel- that will give you and idea as to where to avoid and instead focus on areas you think the elk will escape to after being pressured from these hunters. Good Luck on your hunt!

turk870

Dec 22, 2012
tn
thanks guys kinda what I was thinking.was just unsure .kinda overwhelming scouting from the air and not having laid eyes on it.

izzy69

Dec 16, 2012
You need a good topo map that will let you know if the roads are closed to vehicles try to find trails that are foot or horse only that will keep you from some of the crowds

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
What unit are you hunting turk? Have you looked at the stats for the elk hunt and see how much pressure it gets? If you get in a mile or 2 from roads you should see alot less elk hunters. Good Luck on your hunt!

turk870

Dec 22, 2012
tn
I will be in 34.the wife I think is more excited than I am about all she has been doing when she is near a computer is researching clothes and other equipment.i ordered a tipi and a stove to help keep her more comfortable.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Be sure to go to the Doc Holliday in Glenwood Springs and have a Buffalo burger! I have hunted around there a few times but not 34 or anywhere north of the freeway. If your wife is excited about it I'd say you are in good shape no matter what happens! lol

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
It would help to call the nearest Forest Service or Colorado Parks office to where you are planning to hunt and ask them to send you a motor vehicle use map. This will show the roads that are legal for you to drive on and give you an idea of places that you will probably want to avoid. Give yourself a couple of days to acclimate to altitude and make sure to overhydrate as that helps. God luck and God bless

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
It would help to call the nearest Forest Service or Colorado Parks office to where you are planning to hunt and ask them to send you a motor vehicle use map. This will show the roads that are legal for you to drive on and give you an idea of places that you will probably want to avoid. Give yourself a couple of days to acclimate to altitude and make sure to overhydrate as that helps. God luck and God bless
Good advice. Make sure you get the latest info on road closures as everything has changed a lot in recent years.

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
Given the proximity of I-70 and not being too far down the road from Denver, that unit gets crowded but you have the advantage of some pretty steep, rugged terrain not far from the roads. In my experiences, most people, not just hunters, don't venture more than a mile or so especially if it means anything steep and that country is steep but you have the potential of finding some really nice overlooked bowls and drainages. Whether you start low or high will depend on how the weather has been leading up to your trip. Good luck on your hunt! If nothing else, it is really prettty country and as MM said, if your wife is happy and excited then you're doing real good!

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Almost all of that GMU is either Forrest Service land or BLM so the good news is you'll have plenty of public land to hunt. I agree with previous posts that the further you can get off the roads the better.

FYI: In 2013 the success rate for mule deer (bucks), 2nd season, GMU 34 was 17% ... bull elk was 5%.
I hope you have a great hunt!