New Way To Blow A Stalk

HeartElk1

Mar 30, 2011
I’ve become pretty proficient over the years at blowing stalks in all the normal ways. But last Friday, I discovered a whole new way to screw up a stalk. While bowhunting antelope in northcentral Montana, I was sneaking in on a nice buck. I was hustling through a strip of uncut wheat trying to get in front of him before he moved through a slight dip in the prairie. All of a sudden I found myself a bit higher than I’d been a second ago and as I slid/tripped back down onto the ground, I realized I had just stepped directly on and over a big porcupine. He managed to whack me twice and got plenty of quills in both of my boots and one pant leg. I was extremely lucky that he only got a couple quills barely into the skin on my leg that easily pulled out. I was so stunned through all of this that I completely lost track of the buck and the porcupine ambled away unscathed and pleased with himself after derailing my hunt.

A couple things I learned through this experience:
1. Sometimes it is good NOT to be belly-crawling.
2. Danner Pronghorn boots and Kryptek camo pants are surprisingly effective against porcupine quills.
3. Bear Spray companies should come out with a line of Porcupine Spray products.
4. I apparently have excellent skills at stalking porcupines.

What are some “unusual” ways you guys have messed up stalks?

Porky1.JPGPorky2.JPGPorky3.JPG

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
Glad it wasn't a snake.

I'm used to having no cell service when I'm hunting, but apparently if you put on a stalk and gain almost 1000' elevation that can change....and we all have that one buddy who'll call at a bad time. The worst part was, my wife had the rifle, I had the rangefinder, she was PISSED.

HeartElk1

Mar 30, 2011
Porky4.JPG
This isn't the best picture but I'm pretty sure he was a Boone and Crockett porcupine... at least it felt like it when I was standing on him. I'm glad mine wasn't a racer or I would have had a wild ride.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Glad it worked out for both of you, as I sit here laughing almost to the point of tears. Myself, I managed to have a similar blown hunt due to a skunk, a long time ago.

I was in knee high grass, did not see him quite in time to completely avoid him, as I was stalking a small group of blacktails. When I did notice the poor fellow, I gave up all pretense of hunting, yelled and jumped around, which was the wrong move. Scared the deer, scared the skunk, and when he started looking like he was going to do a handstand, I ended things. Luckily for me it was rifle season and I was upwind.

hoshour

Veteran member
You have accomplished what many of us have never dreamed to achieve.

I can honestly say I have never been able to step on a live porcupine. In fact, I can' say that I have ever been able to step on and rise up on the back of animal in the wild that was alive. If it had been captured for YouTube it might have gone viral.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
haha, that's so crazy! just a few days ago I was walking the edge of a field to work my way into the lava fields before light, I seen what I thought was a lava rock on the side of the rd and I stepped right next to it when it started moving, it was a porcupine!!! scared the crap out of me. I didn't get what you got though!

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I almost stepped on a badger once while hunting antelope. Hopped over a clump of sagebrush and landed about a foot or so away. He spun around snarling....but I was all elbows and a$$hole already. I respect badgers, they're mean little buggers.

HeartElk1

Mar 30, 2011
Yikes -- I would not want to step on a badger or even get very close for that matter. A wolverine would be mess too.

I'm generally leery of snakes when hunting antelope and I'll keep and eye out for bears (grizzly and black) where I elk hunt. But I guess there are plenty more critters to consider and I may need to invest in some special new optics to locate all skunks, porcupines, beavers, hornet nests, snapping turtles, etc. before I plan out my next stalk route.